Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ownership of parking strip land??

drwhou02

Do we have any way of putting together a form or list of forms that says if we can or cannot legaly detect parking strips?? Maybe for each state? I live in oregon and today was rudly asked to leave a parking strip..and it made me just hot!! If we dont have a way to know for sure that we have a right to detect these strips then we might as well forget doing them? I know people who detect in the wee morn hours to avoid conflict but how does that make the rest of us look? And then again they look more like they are trying to do something illegal...So anyone?? What are our rights?

peace

Vern

Hi Vern,

I don't know what the laws are in Oregon, but here in Washington and in the Tacoma area especially, I know for a fact that the grassy strip between the street and the sidewalk is city property. Unless the city has some kind of ordinance on the books saying that you can't metal detect these areas then these areas are open to detect. We had a problem one time and the owner of the house behind this strip called the cops and we were asked to leave just to keep peace. It's only common courtesy to bypass a nice well maintained grassy strip as the person who owns the house is the one who takes care of it even though it is city property. Some don't maintain this area and the ones who do probably aren't even aware that they are maintaining city property. I guess you just have to use your own judgement and if the house owner gives you any crap you can explain that it is city property and if they persist on being rude then just find another spot. These are good places to hunt because there are silver coins to be found, but the picking can be slim if the house owners raise a stink about detecting them. What a shame huh!! Best of luck in your area as I'm sure it will be the same outcome in most other areas when it comes to parking strips. HH.

Eddie

are public domain. The problem is that most people don't know that and because they mow, plant flowers and shrubs and generally take care of these areas, they really believe that it's part of their property. All you can do is move on unless you really want to make a point, then have them call the cops and let the cops explain it to them. But you better make sure that you are right first.

therick

What's a parking strip? That strip of grass between the road and sidewalk? I've hunted this area a little, but not generally in front of people's houses. In front of the houses, even if it's legal, it's a recipe for conflict esp. if it's well groomed. You might be able to get away with it on strips that are not really maintained. Let us know what happens.

I know for a fact you can detect the parking strips in your town, i have done it and have asked the police before i did. What i do is ask the people before detecting if i can, that way they don't get mad. Not sure about your town but here in Portland land owners own the the sidewalks, and parkings strips in front of there property, there is an easement saying that the public has the right to use your side walk, and parking strip. This is why it is the property owners responsibly to maintain them. This is also why i don't mad if they tell me no.

Jerry

Hi Guys,

An Interesting thread, here in Tassie we are obliged to get a permit from our local council to hunt the parks, this permit allows us to search parks, recreational areas controlled by the council and as they also control the parking strips it would be assumed that we can hunt them also. we are required to carry the permit with us so I reckon showing it to any house owner should satisfy him/her that we are not doing anything illegal. Perhaps approaching you local council/city controller might solve the problem.
One other thing, we are not allowed to dig holes/plugs in council owned land so it's just hunting with a sharpened screw driver, but the finds are still pretty good, ($1000 in clads, 6 18k gold rings 11 silver rings 2 silver bracelets, plus heaps of other junk in 12 months.)
All the best.....Boony