Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

OUTLAW OWNERS QUESTION ABOUT YOUR DISC SETTINGS

I am the proud owner of a new outlaw and was testing out the disc settings, and I have found out that my unit will not discriminate out a dime and still hit on a quarter like in a popular you tube video and while discriminating out nickels it is reading almost pull tab before it gets discriminated out.The discrimination for zinc cents it spot on turn the knob just past zincs and they go away. I am just wondering if my new outlaw is the norm or not?

Thanks to who replies...Mark.....

Is that in ground or in the air?

GunnarMN,

I tried the coins on the ground spread out after a proper ground balance ,I also checked the area in all metal before putting coins on the ground and checking disc settings . I hunted for awhile before dark got about .78 in clad was a short hunt ,then checked disc settings again with air test . Tried a number of different nickels as well as dimes silver and clad and still ended up with the same results as testing them on the ground.

Hi Mark,

My Outlaw behaves exactly like yours does in terms of where on the dial nickels drop out = almost at tab. Modern tabs drop out almost at Zn. Zn pennies drop out alittle above Zn but still give me enough signal that I know its a Zn penny. I cant disc out a dime, but I really dont want to so no big deal there.Beaver tail tabs often wont disc out at all and the Outlaw seems to find them deeper than anything else Ive tested it on. Weird thing is, sometimes they will disc out where modern tabs do. I have no idea what makes some of them too attractive for the Outlaw to resist.

I have just memorized where on the dial I need to be to disc these items out, using the labels only as reference points. That works just fine for me. I suppose you could take the dial off and re-attach it so the pointer lines up with the labels better...

I loosen the set screw on the discrimination dial and reposition the pointer so it dead on the five cent mark where a nickel is just discriminated out. It takes several tries to get it perfectly right sometimes, but it's well worth it. I do this calibration to all my Tesoro detectors. You can also use a extra fine point magic marker to place a 'tick' mark at certain points. The magic marker 'tick' marks are easily removed with a little rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip. These 'tick' marks are especially helpful on the notch width dial on the Golden

Tabman is right on. It's easy to adjust the knob and with a bit of effort tick marks can show exactly where tabs, zincs etc drop off.
BB

I usually run my Outlaw with the disc set to pickup a small gold ring. I have a tiny ring and figure that is a good starting point. For mine its the first mark on the dial, about 9 oclock. I almost never detect with it set higher. I also almost never use the dial to determine what the item is. Seems to imprecise, takes too long and my ear works better anyway. I figure if I get a good tone I dig and a crappy tone I usually dig depending on how I feel about it. I have yet to find a good target with a bad signal and I have dug a huge amount of bad signals. Good luck