Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Our Mission: Locate and Recover CW Artillery Relics-Done

VOL1266X

Dman and I returned to the US CW site where I found the TENN PIN yesterday with rain on the way. One day last week, we hunted the site and Dman was playing with the settings on his SE about 30 minutes before we had to leave. He dug an iron canister ball. We had not dug but one of these before. I lowered the discrimination on the old 1266-X and found a few pieces too. Yesterday, we returned with the expressed mission to dig all solid signals to recover artillery pieces. The first pic shows my finds from the two trips. Notice the iron pieces that resemble sugar cubes. The first one that I dug was a puzzle to us. We thought it was just a piece from farm equipment. After Dman dug one and I found three more, we knew they were associated with the artillery relics. A local relic dealer informed us that the square and rectangular iron pieces were sometimes used as "filler" for case shot shells. Maybe Nemo can give us more information on this.
The second pic is of case shot slugs from that general area that I have found in the last 12-13 months. This whole area was remote and used to test fire the cannons during the war after personnel and Union Patrols were cleared away. The large chunk of lead is part of a Hodgkiss sabot. Dman found one also. As you may notice, there is a mashed .58cal. bullet that I forgot to remove from the jar when I poured it out for the pic.
Dman's little boot pistol was the find of the day. Thanks for looking and happy hunting from rainy Tennessee!!!

Just got an email back from Peter George who I asked about the cast iron cubes in the above picture. The lumps are "metal-shop scraps" used as case-shot.

Hope this helps.
Nemo

Quindy. I just had an interesting conversation with Pete George re Hotchkiss "pusher plates". They are iron and are located between the charge and the case shot of the projectile they have a hole in the middle. You might know this but the round disk in the lower right of your first picture might be just such a disk. Pete tells me that hunters find these disk but often don't realize what they are. I'll be sending a copy of your picture for confirmation. Let you know what I find.

Hope this is new to you. Can see them on cut crossections of Hotchkiss case shot projectiles.

Dave Poche