Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Original Sovereign - Best Place to Check/Tweak

Thead

I just obtained an original Sovereign and am new to detecting and would appreciate any feedback on where would be the best place to send my Sovereign to have it checked for proper operation and to maybe have a new faceplate installed. I am in Florida and would like to send it somewhere "nearby".

Here is there address and phone number from their website:

871 Grier Dr., Suite B1
Las Vegas, NV 89119 USA
T: 1-702-891-8809
F: 1-702-891-8810

give them a call, they are very helpful and probably your best/only chance to get a new faceplate for an older sov.

HH
Neil

I realize that Minelab is an obvious option but I am hoping that there are some other shops closer to Florida that specialize in tweaking/checking the Sovereign and that members of this forum might have recommendations based on personal experience. Also, I have contacted Minelab about the faceplate.

Update - feedback from Minelab does not look promising with respect to the Sovereign faceplate.

Thead,If you are new to metal detecting all unit require a learning curve,I think most of the readers to this thread are scratching their heads trying to figure out why you want to tweak something you don't understand.The original is a great unit,which the only problem no volume control.A quick easy fix headphones with this control.There's a wed site just on Sovereign mods.Do you have a manual?Have you tried using this unit.

Hello Ron,

Yes, I have used the Sovereign and have a great set of headphones to deal with the lack of volume control. I also have the manual now thanks to proscan (Peter). The main points of my post were the check for proper operation and the faceplate issue. Since the detector is used and is old, I was thinking about sending it in for a checkup. I figured I would also go with any tweaks to the performance while it is being checked.

Thead,there's nothing wrong with having a metal detector checked out, but the hunting season is short and even shorter with two or more weeks subtracted for repairs.I would bench test the unit and if its in working order go do some hunting.Sovereigns like batteries a charger and rechargeable battery pack,will save money.A straight rod asm is the only way to go good balance saves the back there's a guy on ebay that sells these very cheap.There's a book out "Finding Gold,Silver and Coins with the Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur" by Clive James Clynick this may help very inexpensive.Your Sovereign if working fine without the tweaks will do everything and more you want.I use a XS no mods just add ons.This unit with the 7 1/4 inch coil were picking up targets my friends CZ70 couldn't reach.Anyway good luck with the Sovereign and give yourself some time to learn how to use it.

I agree with you Ron on using it and understand it. If this original was not tinkered with by someone than it should be working just fine as i never seen a Sovereign that needed to be tweaked unless some one has been in the control box.
The 2 Originals I had here never seem to have the performance the XS and newer had, so if Thread had a XS or newer he may not see as good of performance out of the original, that is my opinion on what I have seen.

Like you Ron I would wait and try the unit first to see if I could see a problem and if not just use it the way it is.

I believe that's why the XS worked so much better than the Original. Dick Schultz sent a shield for an old original, but, I think it's better if they add it because it needs a grounding lug "soldered" to the switch area. And you know how bad I solder Rick, you fixed enough of my plugs for me. But, yeah, I think I would at least try it out first, heck, it may work great as is where Thead is located. The Sovs are all good machines and pretty rugged too. Heck, I have seen some pretty ugly boxes, but, they worked just fine.

There is nothing out today that can match any Sovereign with a straight rod,a 180 meter and a Sunray probe.