Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ordering at pro or gold,need help

petew

I had a at pro 3 years ago,great machine.buying a new machine tommorrow, with or gold or pro.
I'm focusing on jewelry, parks and homes,curbs,woods,water.I'm also buying a set of grey ghost,that's another question. Are the amphibious grey ghost sound quality as good as land grey ghost?
Back to the detector,I usually run all metal anyway with other machines,so the at gold would benefit all metal.but I think it has a preset notch for iron. One major question,is the at gold that much better at hitting gold chains?
Thanks....

Either machine will serve you well. If you by chance have the AT Pro International, the Grey Ghost Amphibians will not work. The AT Pro might be the better of the two for your style of hunting.....especially the notching feature.

Well...

I have BOTH: An AT Pro (for 3 years) and an AT Gold (Brand new - 1 week).

So far I like them both.....ALOT!!!

Based on the areas that you said you would be hunting, I would recommend the......
AT Pro used in the Pro modes.
No matter which you get, get BOTH the 8.5 x 11 and the 5 x 8 DD Heads.

I recommended the AT Pro mostly because of the ability to vary the discrimination notch by notch if necessary
and the fact it is pretty evenly matched to the Gold.
So far, I like the AT Pros tone patterns a hair better. Just a little more pleasant and crisper.
The AT Golds are just a bit 'scratchier', if that's even a word...he-he.

Here is a break down on the units I would recommend based on the areas you indicated above;

jewelry - AT Pro or AT Gold
parks - AT Pro (trashy)
homes - AT Pro (trashy)
curbs - AT Pro (trashy)
woods - AT Gold or AT Pro
water - fresh: AT Pro or AT Gold
water - salt: AT Pro

The AT Gold is tuned a hair more for hunting the gold. Partly because of its 5 x 8 DD coil and the 18kHz operating frequency.
But, from the little bit of testing I have done with the couple test rings and a couple dozen various coins I have,
the AT Pro and the AT Gold seem to be pretty evenly matched when using the same size and type of heads.
Sure it has the 'All Metal' mode, but in trashy areas I don't see that as much of a benefit.
also note, the notch patterns on its 3 modes are fixed. You can not adjust them. You CAN adjust the Iron discrimination for the 3 modes though.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment as to how well either of them work as far as gold chains go. I have not found any and do not have any to test with yet.

I have the Grey Ghost Amphibian Head phones and to me, they sounds as good as the Garrett Land Head phones that comes with both the units.
I can not say how they sound compared to the Grey Ghost Land Head phones, since I have never used the Land phones.

Either will work for what you want, bit I'd lean slightly towards the AT Pro at this time. That may change as I get more time on my AT Gold, we'll see.

Went with the at pro,and 5x8 too,thanks to Craig at show me treasure. .He has great deals.

Turak, very nice write up.

PeteW, good choice for your goals. Happy hunting.

I prefer using Amphibians even on land but I also don't have any Detector Pro land phones for comparison. I find that the included Garrett phones are very nice and I like the tones of either pair. I find that the Amphibians just fit ME more comfortably and block out a lot more background noise (a plus for beach and surf hunting). The only downside of that nice tight Amphibian fit is they really make MY ears sweat in the hot weather to the point of having to remove the phones an drying my ears (and also the phone cups).. The Garretts seem noticeably cooler on a hot day. Not surprising to me, I guess I can't have it both ways.