Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ordered new coil

findit

well i ordered the 5.75 concentric after reading alot of good things on it. now i have both the cibola and vaquero any tips on using it with both machines, will it work different on one than the other. also if you have any tips on the best places to use it and how to get the max depth out of it. i would guess it wouldn't be as deep being a smaller coil so should you run it super tuned all the time? hope it works as good for me as others will let you know.

well i ordered the 5.75 concentric after reading alot of good things on it. now i have both the cibola and vaquero any tips on using it with both machines, ... Just remember that your Tesoro's are essentially slow-motion discriminators. Fast sweeping can impair performance, especially when you go to smaller-size coils, or when hunting more mineralized ground. So, make sure you are in control of search coil sweep speed and coil presentation (maintain a uniform coil-to-ground relationship). Don't forget that you still need to overlap to get best coverage.

will it work different on one than the other. ... Possibly, based upon the ground environment you're hunting in and the efficiency of the GB setting for the site. Other than GB issues, if you're using a similar Discriminate and Sensitivity setting, they will perform almost identical.

also if you have any tips on the best places to use it and how to get the max depth out of it. ... Best places? I use smaller-than-stock coils almost exclusively so every place is a good place! :) Most consider a smaller coil has an advantage in trashier sites, or those with a lot of brush or building rubble. Just apply the basics and keep the Discriminate level as low as you can tolerate, and the Sensitivity as high as possible w/o chatter. Remember to overlap slow and consistent sweeps, investigating all responses. "Depth" is a very arguable topic, to be sure. Bigger coils can get better depth on larger objects, but at a point lose responsiveness on coin-sized targets. Smaller coils might not get extreme depths, but they can often come very close to the depth of a standard coil, but just don't have the coverage. The advantage is that they see less ground and less trash so there is not as much ground signal issue and less target masking.

i would guess it wouldn't be as deep being a smaller coil so should you run it super tuned all the time? ... Not necessarily. "Super-tuning" can help in some applications. I started using this technique and instructing it almost a quarter of a century ago on some models and called it "Hyper-Tuning." What it is essentially doing is saturating the audio audio across most of the total detection range or depth. There are times when I definitely prefer a more modulated audio because it will give me more target information as to size, shape and possible depth range. Running with a high Threshold setting to saturate the audio can also cause more noise in some conditions, and it makes the All Metal Pinpoint mode useless.

Monte

When changing coils on factory preset machines, Tesoro recomends that you send the machine back into the factory so they can tune the coil and machine to optimum performance. Factory preset GB machines are balanced to the coils at the factory so if you change coils later on it may not be at optimum performance. Will it work? Of course, you may not even notice any difference, but you could also be loosing performance. If you have two standard coils that you always use and switch off between, you can send the machine back in with coils, and they will pick the optimum setting so both coils work at the best possible performance. Dont get me wrong, you will not loose tons of depth, but it wont be at optimum performance.

This problem does not exist with manualy GB Tesoro machines, you can switch coils as often as you like. The GB process automatically acccounts for the balance of machine to coil and soil. This is one of the other benefits of having a manually GB's machine over a factory preset machine that most people dont realize.

I've got to find someway of learning all this stuff so I can remember it when I'm in the field.
Great post...

thanks for the great info sounds like i am better off putting it on the vaquero and leaving it there. and like markg said if you could only remember all the stuff out in the field:biggrin: