Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Or maybe call me watch man with the bullet:shrug:

Finished out the day doing some more school grounds and small neighborhood parks. The watch is keeping perfect time but has a small amount of moisture under the glass. That's a live 357 round I found in the playground area of a park. Hum..:surrender:

Total for the day, 81 coins for $3.33. The gold ring, earring, amusement park token, the watch and bullet. Guess I need to keep looking to find the good stuff. :rofl:

I would get rid of it, could be unstable. Nice finds.

I found it in the playground area in the bark they use around the jungle gyms and such. Couldn't have been there that long since they just put a fresh batch of bark this summer. It was only 4 or 5 inches deep. It's in good shape. If it's that important I'll just throw it in the trash next Friday and it will go to the Waste to Energy plant where they burn everything....:angel:

The case is tarnished. Not new. Look at the cap and see if it is a
misfire. If so there will be a small dent from the firing pin.

Whatever, do not throw it in the trash. Just IMO.

[quote parrott]The case is tarnished. Not new. Look at the cap and see if it is a
misfire. If so there will be a small dent from the firing pin.
Whatever, do not throw it in the trash. Just IMO.[/quote]

It's been in the bark they use at the playground for awhile but it's in good shape. Not miss-fired either. No not in the fire. Just going to sit on the shelf and if it did go it would only put a hole in my ceiling. And it's not even mine. I RENT! :thumbdown:

Welcome to the Armed United States of America. I recall when I first got into detecting and would find bullets how I marveled at it all. It is exciting to find them at first, especially if you have little experience with firearms. I wouldn't trouble myself to fire the thing in a gun, though, as it is likely a pointless effort - it will most likely only sit there at the hammers fall. If it was me, I'd just toss it in the "finds box" and impress your friends with it now and then.

Sounds like what I'm saying flies in the face of good reason, right? Well, loaded cartridges are inherently safe, in and of themselves, contrary to what many will have you believe. Their intended purpose, in fact, is to do absolutely nothing until fired in a gun, regardless of the sort of handling they receive prior.

Did you see the movie, "The Lord of War?" In the movie they showed Russian 7.62x39 rounds bulk packed in a big box, loose. Then they were shipped willy-nilly, knocked around and spilled on the ground - generally mistreated all over the war-torn world. For all of that, they arrived intact, sadly, to wreak their havoc, no matter how badly they may have been mistreated in transit.

Something else to keep in mind, is that the component parts of modern ammunition break down readily when exposed to the elements, so it's highly unlikely the round you found under the wood chips remains viable. Only some military ammo of fairly recent vintage poses much of a viability threat, as the military normally lacquer seals their ammo against moisture intrusion.

But, even if that .357 Mag round was viable, it might comfort you to know that I have what, to some, would be a shocking amount of live ammo stored in my shop - and none of it has gone off by itself. Ever. Ditto the handloads that I have created myself.

(Now, if you insist on hitting it with a nail and hammer to test out what I'm saying, well then, you are on your own and I disclaim any liability in such an event!)

In fact, just for the sake of argument, I set a genuinely "live" .35 Remington cartridge of recent manufacture on my desk as I typed this. I picked it up from time to time, rolled it around and even shook it a few times. GASP! Guess what? Nothing.

My first detector-found cartridge was an unfired military 7.62X51 NATO round under an old tree. Dead as a stone and still in my box. Since then, Ive found fired and unfired ones, live and dead ones, old ones and new ones, modern and vintage ones. I recently turned up a bunch of .32 WRF's at an old house site and a handful of live .22's laying on the ground at another (It is fair to tell that the local "projects" is next door to the 2nd house and I have found other places to hunt!)

All of these "bullets" lie at rest in my "finds box," none the worse for wear. The same can be said for me, for having them there. You just have to understand the risks youre dealing with. I also don't think we should remove swingsets and merry-go-rounds from playgrounds, but that is another issue...

While I have never found an entire gun, others have and I have found gun parts. Some make a case for gun control out of such stuff, others like me are more in favor of idiot control.

But the fact remains that small arms ammunition in all its forms is a part of the detecting experience. Watches too. You have gotta love it!

Yeah I've got a bunch of shells I've found over the years, some old military ammo. You're in more danger digging them up. They can lay around forever posing no danger. Now as I told Parrot, old,sweaty, dynamite is a horse of a different color.

Bill

Uncle Bill... also an old blasting cap can be found while digging for a nugget. Old ammunition can be found anywhere. I understand about a dozen .38 calibre were found at a southern California Beach. And at another beach a pipebomb was found. The bomb squad detonated it and there was reported a secondary explosion so the p. b. was real.

Many younger gold hunters do not understand that the oldtimers used a quarter stick to loosen placer ground. Back in the older times it was easy to walk into any mining town hardware store and buy a few sticks.

And yes I know about "sweaty dynamite." It could be a problem after WW-2 when the miners returned back to reopening gold mines that were closed during the war.