Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Opinions...What is the best "bang for my buck"?

Oldguy

Back in September MarkCZ posted a chart of how a Tejon responds to a small 14K necklace. I found it to be spot on when I tried it with my Tejon except I don't have a 5 3/4" Wide scan coil. When I priced one out with a lower rod it came to within $30 or so of a new Compadre. Your opinion; should I get the wide scan coil for the Tejon or go for a new Compadre? Thanks.

Get the small coil for the Tejon. The Compadre is a great machine, but not in the same league as a Tejon with the 5.75 coil.

I agree with Dan,, but,,, If something went wrong with your detector, you have nothing until it gets fixed. The compadre will be a great back up detector to have. A family member or a friend might want to try this hobby. You would have a second detector to let them hunt with you. You never know,, you just might really love the compadre. I bought one many years ago to back up my vaquero.
That was a mistake,, I now have 3 compadres. I use the compadre the most. Than my second is my silver umax,, than my old vaquero. Maybe too many to pick from... KEN

get the small coil for the tejon, and after a short time you'll have found the $160 or so to then buy a Compadre as a backup.

So you're getting both anyway!

My thought also. In the long haul, you'll be happy with both.
BB

Oldguy said:
Back in September MarkCZ posted a chart of how a Tejon responds to a small 14K necklace. I found it to be spot on when I tried it with my Tejon except I don't have a 5 3/4" Wide scan coil. When I priced one out with a lower rod it came to within $30 or so of a new Compadre. Your opinion; should I get the wide scan coil for the Tejon or go for a new Compadre? Thanks.

Oldguy,

I'd say get a Compadre because the wife or the grandkids might want to find out what MDing is all about + you have a spare detector.

[size=x-large]+ the Compadre is a bigger gold magnet than the Tejon.[/size]

HaRM

You may want to check, I am thinking the Compadre comes with the 5.75" concentric. There was only a nats hair difference on the gold testing results between the WC and the concentric.

I think if you do some shopping around for that coil you can find for close to $60.

Ron in WV

Also on the COMPADRE. At $160 bucks, it will pay for its self in no time. Use the extra money to get you a wide scan coil. The wide scan or "DD" is used for mineralized ground. The concentrice is best for neutral
ground. The conc. is easier to pin point with. Also the conc. is a little deeper. Go with the compadre... KEN

Thanks for the responses. I have several other detectors including an Ace 250 for "other people" to use. It's popular when I take to boy scout camps with my son, the scouts learn to use a simple metal detector as well as how to dig targets without causing damage (leave no trace). I also have the 5 3/4" concentric and 12 x 10 wide scan coils, as well as the stock coil for the Tejon. I discovered through other posts and my own testing that most detectors including my Tejon will not hit on small 14K chains, even when using the small concentric coil. According to MarkCZ's testing it will hit on the small chains with the 5 3/4" wide scan. I am looking for maximum performance and was curious if the Compadre should be considered.

MarkCZ said:
Here is some testing my brother has done with the Tejon (air testing) and when I got my 5.75" Widescan he wanted to include the results in his testing.
See pictures below. (small gold chain was in the test)
He is now on the lookout for a 5.75 Widescan coil for himself, we both have a Tejon.

Mark

http://www.findmall.com/file.php?17,file=274810
http://www.findmall.com/file.php?17,file=274811

I dont have the Compadre but I do have a Tiger Shark and a Stingray2 and they run in the 12khz range like the Campadre and i have found gold chains before. If it was me i would lean towards the Compadre with the 8" donut Ive never used the 5.75 coil and had lots of luck with the 8". HH

This is MarkCZ's brother Ron, and I hear a lot of talk about the Compadre. I would love to find somebody around WV that has a Compadre that I could hook up with and test with the vary same items that I used to test the Tejon and it's coils.

I still have that spread sheet and could add column. So if anybody out there knows anybody with a Compadre close to Huntington West Virginia get hold of me and we can do about 30 minutes of testing.

MarkCZ's brother Ron in WV