Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Opinions Wanted: Thinking of Making a Change from XS to EXP 2 or X-Terra 70

Vol Fan

Help me make up my mind. I have an Explorer XS, in great shape, got the stock coil and 8" coil with lower rod, been to the factory to deal with crack issues, and I have loved the machine. However, have lately been wanting to get my hands on something a little newer. At this point I am toying with the idea of getting rid of the XS for either an Explorer II or an X-Terra 70 and maybe some extra coils.

So give me some opinions. Is there much of a change going from the XS to the Explorer II? I really enjoy the FBS, and it seems to work great here in E TN. My wife had an XLT and I cannot tell you the times that I would find things going right behind her that her machine just passed right over. She now has an X-Terra 70, and having used it a little myself, I love the ease of use and it is very light weight (though that is not really an issue for me right now, I have no problem swinging the XS for hours).

So I thought I would consult with the true experts and gurus of the minelab world here. Would especially like to here from folks that have used and moved from one machine to the other.

To give you an idea, I mostly am hunting coins at homes and parks. I will occasionally make it out to the beach every couple of years or so, occasionally hunt fresh water beaches on TVA lakes around the Knoxville area, and would like to eventually do some more serious relic hunting in the future. That pretty sums up my hunting activities from most frequent to least frequent.

Thanks for any insight.

I have the Exp II which I use for slow scouring sites that I know have a good chance of finds. I have the X Terra 70 which is great for swinging at a quick pace in fields and woods. I also have an XLT which has rewarded me with MANY super finds. I love all three of them since they all shine bright in different locations but If I had to have just ONE it would be the Explorer.

Thanks for the input, that is what I am looking for, an "if I had to choose just one, which would I take".

And I realize my statement on the XLT sounded like a bit of a slam, not meant that way, as my wife has found some nice stuff with it. Was just saying there are a numerous times where the Explorer just seemed to sniff out things the XLT could not find. Keeping them all is not an option. Our XLT is going on E-Bay this weekend, and if I make a change, the Explorer XS will likely go the same route.

So that is what I am looking for in the way of opinions. Given any of your experiences, and choosing between A - Keep the XS or B - Sell XS and replace with either an Explorer 2 or X-Terra 70; which would you choose to do, and which machine would you switch to given the type of hunting listed in the original post.

Again, Jeff or Maria (which ever the case may be), thanks for your input.

Stick with the Explorers. The X70 is a good detector, but I consider it a step down from the Explorer. It is much lighter though, so if weight is an issue for you it might be a good choice. I did not like not having the Sunray inline probe for the X70 either. I've come to rely on that. And if you've done the learning curve with the Explorer, why not stick with it? The XS is no slouch, is there a reason you're wanting to change? The VCO pinpoint on the new SE is a nice feature though, but the ExII does not have that.

If you are already swinging the XS, why go to the 2, when you could go to the latest SE. All your coils from the other Explorers will work on it, only you'll have an updated, faster unit that has VCO pinpointing on it (where while in pinpoint mode, the sound will get louder and higher in pitch as you get closer to the center of the target). The SE is out long enough so that there are used ones for sale, in fact I bought my second one 2 months ago, that came with 5 coils and an X-1 probe for a sweetheart of a price. I would advise buying a used one from someone you know or a dealer who took it in on trade and has checked it out. I got mine, both new and used, from Ralph at Sun Ray, don't know if he has another, though. You could always check. :detecting:

And I think I would likely get much closer to being able to get an Explorer II from the proceeds form selling my XS (heck I would consider trading my XS and the XLT towards an SE, but the XLT needs the depth meter recallibrated). My understanding is the Exp II is more stable and has faster recovery time, along with better digital screen readings (dual read out) - is this true? Or am I off base here and would see little in the way of increased performance?

Reason to change, well no big reason. Just wanting to get my hands on something a little newer. That is really all. My XS is in great condition and works like a charm. Just looking to change up a little bit, and given price ranges, after selling the XS could be in a position to grab an EXP II. The SE is likely out of my range right now. When I bought the XS, funds were a little more free; but that was 3 kids ago. :blink:

If you have the last version of the XS there may not be much difference between it and the Exp2, other than dual digital numbers and the fact that it is a newer detector.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?10,498964,499301#msg-499301

Hey, thanks, that was very helpful. I bought the XS about 4 to 5 years ago (if memory serves, though it could have been 6) new from KellyCo. Mine did develop some cracks around the pin in the housing. I shipped it in and it was repaired. Not sure what all was done to it though. Not sure if there is a way to tell what version I have. Guess I am just as well to stick to working my XS, doesn't sound like it will make that big of a difference to upgrade at this point.

Thanks very much for that very helpful link.

Clyde

It's more because the people that are posting those comments don't have as much time or experience with their new SE compared to what they have in their old Explorer. But no, Mine lab didn't put out an inferior, newer model at 1200 bucks and drop their better working, old machine down to 1000 in some kind of rob the public, conspiracy theme. There are some very subtle improvements to the SE over their brothers that most will not notice until they really learn the new machine. But common sense wise, what improvements happened in computers alone in the last five years? Try running Windows Vista on a Pentium 1 or 2. If people honestly believe that neither the hardware nor software of the Explorers were updated to make the new SE; well, that's a pill I don't think I can swallow. White's reaction to the SE echos this in the simple fact that they dropped the price of their DFX down 200 bucks within a week of the SE coming out. I remember because I was pricing the DFX against the Explorer 2 the week before. If you can find a used SE, that's the route I would go, in fact, the route I went. As for the cost, in the twelve months that I have owned my SE, I have found enough stuff to pay for them both and then some. That may also have something to do with the fact that I'll hunt with them in horizontal hail at 3 am in the morning, but they are paid for; none the less.:shrug:

My comparison was intended to be the XS verses the Explorer 2. It was not meant to say that the Explorer 2 was better than the SE. I agree, technology advances by leaps and bounds over the course of a few months it seems any more. After 5 years? Sure, it is going to be a big leap. But what I was asking in the above post was concerning improvements from the Explorer XS to the Explorer II. I kind of switched subjects in mid-stream there.

I really appreciate the input. These were the things I was hoping to hear about.

Thanks guys.