Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Opening an F5

Occupant

Is there a trick to opening the control housing on the F5? Looks like just removing knobs and un-screwing the nuts that hold the control shafts would do it. All knobs pull off except the Ground Balance. That one is on there tight and I hesitate to pull too hard, since it appears to be a rotary encoder/switch combo and unsure how delicate it may be.

Yeah, I know, warranty and all that..... Mine is the push-on connector model, and I now have two new DD coils, but both have the screw-on connector. I would like to convert the housing and stock coil to screw-on. I have all the parts and connectors and electronics experience to do the job, just looking for some guidance on dis-assembly.
Thanks,
Occupant

there are screws under the sacrificial faceplate. they would pull .it of, bin ,it and then undo the screws. A new faceplate would be fitted to complete a repair.
why do you need to remove it?

Thanks Alimo88. That shoots it down, then, since I don't have a replacement for the front stick-on plate. Oh well, off to FTP then.

Nothing wrong. F5 is new. It's just that I have new 11"DD and 5"DD coils with screw-on connectors, while the F5 housing has the old push-on connector. I wanted to put a 5 pin panel mount screw-on connector jack in the housing to replace the flimsy push-on and be able to use the new DD coils. I have all the parts, they are the same as a 5 pin microphone connector. Just wasn't sure about being able to open the housing so I could mount the 5 pin jack. I'll contact FTP and arrange to have them do the conversion. Too cold to play outside now anyway.
Thanks for your help.
Occupant

with the F2 it had a clever female plug
you could actually remove it because it sort of splits in two so it can be accessed for soldering
If you unsoldered all the wires you could remove it
not sure it's the same on the F5

It is the same on the F5, and on most all BH detectors for the past decade or more. Problem comes with mounting the 5 pin jack. It needs to be inserted from the rear of the panel, then a large nut is tightened on the outside of the panel. I do have a idea about how that may be accomplished without getting inside the housing, and using the technique you just described. Will look into it further when I get some time and let you know how it turns out.

Have you considered making an adapter box like the sunprobe pinpointer uses to y split the coil connect without having to open it? It sounds like you could do that easier than the other options.

. I have an f5 with the screw in coil wire. Fisher will convert your push in to screw in. They did mine for nothing under warranty. Call Felix at fisher. My push in coil wire never went in tight anyway and they gave me a new screw coil ALL UNDER WARRANTY