Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

one to many

david(tx)

as young teenagers of 14 to 16 years old we had wandered the street i lived on from the time we were younger,i've probably mentioned it but we were surrounded by plowed fields that were usually planted with crops,kind of an odd deal,i'm sure they intended to develope more streets but something must of fell through,and by the time i left they had rezoned our area of town industrial and a couple of warhouses and a fleetwood motorhome plant had been built.

anyway we were always looking for something to do,i was going to say and to stay out of trouble but that didn't always work out.we would hang out in the fields around our street and in the winter somebody would say lets get some hotdogs and bread and build a fire and have a wiener roast.we would get some deadwood from a dry creekbed or somewhere else and set out there eating ,smoking cigarettes and telling stories,and being teenage boys sometimes somebody would say something and a fight might break out.

this land was private property but never once in the 6 or 7 years i lived there did anybody say anything to us,i guess because most of it was leased by somebody the people never said anything,i would never violate anybody's private property or trespass on purpose,but we were kids and since nobody said anything,i never thought anything about it,there were no fences or markers but still if it were my land today i don't know how a would take some kids just running around over my property,as i said i think the land being leased kind of left who's respondibilty it was in limbo.

well we would always try to get somebody in their early twenties to get us some beer,there was a older black man who bootlegged who sold old milwalkee foe a dollar and a quarter a quart,and pints of whiskey called kentucky deluxe.sometimes we would go there but sometimes words would be exchanged between us and black teenagers that didn't like us coming into their neighborhood even though we went to school with them,just kid stuff i think.so sometmes we would pool our money and get somebody to make a beer run and we would have to give them some gas money.the didn't want to get caught getting beer for minors so it was hard finding somebody at times,mckinney was dry then so it was about a 23 mile drive one way to get beer.once a friend on the street saw a case of schlitz malt liquor in the back of the milkman who lived on our streets car,he stole and we drank it,i knew that stealing that malt liquor was wrong and i felt a little guilty for drinking it but i paid the price.

i wasn't much of a seasoned drinker and the malt liquor was warm and in 16 ounce cans,before the night was over i was sick and selling the farm because i tried to get my fair share of it drank before it was gone:blink:.

now,once we got some older guys to buy us a case of beer,we eached pitched in,4 of us,and we would each get a 6 pack,it was summertime and the sun went down about 8.30 or 9 or so,they left and were back by about 6.30,so we took to a dry creek down in one of the fields to drink it.keith dickerson,billy honea,myself and i can't remember who else each had a 6 pack coming.billy honea was a couple of years older than me and keith was a little older but were in the same grade at school.as i said fights could break out at this volitile age so watch out:lol:.keith didn't have a bad temper just a quick one and billy had a give a crap attitude.well we were yee hawin' and having a grand ol' time drinking our beer until keith finished his fifth beer and realized there wasn't any left,huh oh,i told him i only drank 5 and was still drinking number 6,billy said he didn't know how many he had drank but that he probably drank it and kind of laughed.laying along the dry creek was a piece of 3/4 or 1 inch angle iron that was about 6 feet long,after billy kind of laughed keith's temper erupted and he cussed billy and picked up the angle iron and started swinging it at billy and he wasn't playing.

i think he nicked billy on the cheek with a jagged edge of that angle iron and billy took off running for the street with keith chasing him and calling him an s.ob.:lol:,we finally got keith calmed down and billy said the next time any beer was bought he would give him and extra,when i think about this i still laugh to this day.

They sure hurt the next day or two!!!

Calm seas

M

Then a real wild time was having some cheap Boonesfarm Strawberry Hill. It didn't take too many times of that junk to turn you away from alcohol all together!

The thing about you and your buddies, did you really like it, or were you just acting like you did?? Guess it was the macho thing to do. But drinking and fighting can be a dangerous combination!

I still just stick to a glass of wine or two (yes, Royal and Mikey, there may be an exception in there somewhere), but for the most part don't like the taste of anything but a little white or blush wine. And it shore ain't by Boonesfarm!

I think the boys were a lot worse at drinking than the girls were when we were younger, just so they could be hot shots!

You sound like you had a great time growing up, and as with the rest of us, tried a little of all of it. I never smoked. Always hated it, but then took up the habit when I was twenty three years old for some odd reason! No it's taboo! Crazy the way things turn out.

Thanks for taking us back a few years David. Enjoyed the story! :)

to when I was 13 years old. I was at my girl friends house,(Peggy Robison), and me and her two brothers had a case of Falstaff "tallboys". We began to see how many that we could "kill." What a mistake that was! I got 2 or 3 down before I started puking all over the old storm celler that we had turned in to our clubhouse.

I guess Peggy's brothers didnt exactly know how to handle the mess that I was making so they got their mother down there. Her last name was Turnbow, but as she was washing my face with a damp wash cloth, I kept saying over and over,"I love you Mrs Robison." Vomit was spraying out my nose and mouth and Im sure I made a mess of her too.

It was a long night and Im sure I slept there that night, but havent touched another Falstaff since!

I dont know if I wanted to go there, but thanks for taking back anyway!

Lil Brother:)

aquired taste,and dang after i aquired it i sure did/do like it,although i seldom drink anything anymore.i do like beer with certain foods(pizza and mexican food),but haven't drank one recently.that boone's farm and ripple were some bad stuff but cheap,right up there with md 20-20.i got seperated from some people i was suppose to go to a party with when i was about 20 and they left a couple bottles of boone's farm in my car so i helped myself to most of it and i started crying for no reason after drinking it,no wine for me please:biggrin:.

i haven't even thought about falstaff since your fellow arkansan dizzy dean use to do commercials for them on the baseball game of the week in the 60's.as a matter of fact those cans before the change over to aluminum could tell you the measure of one's strength by how big of a dent you could squeeze in one.glad we all made past those days.

Well, almost. I might have drunk 12-15 beers my entire life, and one mixed drink but I grew up around drunks, watched them puke, fuss and fight and saw what it did to them and their families. As a result I never had any use for alcohol. Plus I was heavy into athletics and that doesn't mix with alcohol. I did run around with a couple of guys when I was in highschool who would drink a couple of beers occasionally, and hauled a cousin and his friends around sometimes when they were half drunk so I know how things went when alcohol was involved.

n/t

drank a half bottle of beer before that and I was 17. I was just out of boot camp and stationed at Camp Pendelton, Ca. There was a rodeo on base.

None of us had cars but the Marine Corps was kind enough to have transportation ready. Sorta like a stock trailer but it worked.

It was a hot day and we got there and the guys talked me into having a beer. Heck, I were a Marine now twerent I? :D Just a punkassed kid but I felt like a man after completeing 14 weeks of Marine Boot Camp and a week in recieving.

I got drunk. I drank a six pack and made a dang fool out of myself. I met Chester from TV fame that day and I probably really impressed him :(

Now lets get to June 10th 1957. I wanted to die. I would have had to get BETTER to die! I barfed and was in the john half the day worshiping Hewie! I had such a hangover I swore never to drink again. I didn't either until the next Christmas. I once again made a dang fool out of myself, or so they told me.

You brought back some memories.

armed forces. Seems you have to drink in order to "be a man". I have known a lot of guys who were not drinkers, at least not like they were once they got out of boot camp, Nathan included. Now he like to drink a beer or ten, but only just to show he is twenty one and I start looking for him to start beating his chest any time now! I am not impressed at all! :(

with your fellow marines,many a young serviceman has been taken advantage of by crooks when young and alone and drunk.i always said i'd never drink again when i got sick drinking but my memory was short and i'd be right back at it before to long,and yes i made a fool of myself more times than i care to remember.

I remember that when a bunch of us boys would get together and you wanted to start a fight, all you had to do was tell someone that their dog was ugly...the fight would begin. Thanks for posting this story, I really liked it! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)