Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One of my best days

Excalifor

Spent the day at the beach with a buddy of mine. Yesterday he had found 5 silver dollars while detecting and was kind enough to share the location with me. We went back today, he found another 10 while I found 3. Usually this beach is only good for nails. Good finds are few and far between at this beach. We are not sure how the dollars got there, the dates range from the 1820's to 1922. Given the date range and the number of coins, our guess was that the coins are from someone's cache that was in a old trailer court that was bulldozed in the 60's.

FYI, OldBeechnut, the coins sounded great in the new headphones. Thanks

That's an amazing find -for -well anywhere but really outstanding for a beach. I'd like to hear a little more- like depth and which part of the beach (I'll assume closer to the dunes because you mentioned trailer park)
I believe it was '62 when they outlawed camps & trailers on the beach. East coast after some deaths from a hurricane.
You could still get silver dollars for a paper dollar in '62.

Very Good Excalifor...!! Post us some pictures if you get a chance, would love to see the treasure.... I have only ever found one silver dollar. And glad the new HP's are helping....:thumbup:

Here's the photos. I found all of my coins in the wet, approximately 6-8 inches down. I think this was a real anomaly in that I didn't find any other pre 1980's coins. The coins didn't have the patina and wear that I would expect for being in the water and sand for 80+ years. I've pulled silver coins off the beaches in Los Angeles. Those coins were heavily eroded and either black or purple with corrosion. The beach is popular with the locals and has tons of nails, all from the pallets that get burned here. A mystery but I ain't complaining.

Those are some fine looking Silvers....Truly one of the nicest Silver finds I have seen in awhile......:thumbup:.......thanks for posting the pics....

That sense of wonder when we find such unusual treasures really adds to the satisfaction of this hobby!!!:beers:

Congrats,

CJ

I'm also in San Diego and I just found a 1927 silver dollar and I believe it could have been from the same location. I don't know much about coins but something about it strikes me as odd. This had some crud on it but not like I'd expect. I weighed it against a 1922 that I have and it was about 2 grams too light (on my not so accurate scale it was 24 grams while the 1922 was 26 grams), yet it seems to be slightly thicker. It ended up as a bit of an odd color though I did clean it with Brasso so that could explain that. Did yours check out as genuine?

Turns out that all of the coins were counterfeit. I became suspicious when the coins wouldn't clean up the way I have seen other silver items clean up. The coins turned various shades of orange when soaked in vinegar, I only see that when I miss a penny while cleaning quarters, dimes and nickels. When I weighed the coins they were all 2-4 grams short of their published weights. The beach (Ponto) where we found the coins is used by smugglers of illegal aliens. My buddy theorized that one of the illegal aliens bought the coins in Mexico and dropped a bag while walking through the surf. Disappointed to say the least.

I was gonna say you should have those coins checked out, didn't look like any silver patina I've ever seen, but now we know I guess.