Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One nickel at a time ends up being a herd of buffalo šŸ¦¬

JimmyCT

Last Sunday, I went to a park that was established in 1905. I have been hunting this one particular area over the last few seasons with great success. This area was used as a childrenā€™s playground back in the day. I have removed hundreds of wheaties, many barber, rosey and Mercury dimes, IH pennies, and some V and Buffalo nickels.
On this hunt I cranked sensitivity to 27 on my equinox 900, recovery set at 4, with Park1 program. With the majority of high conductors out of the way, it was time for me to focus more on mid-conductors. Coins were pinpointer deep and I am well please at how well Park1 (best for high conductors) nailed 9ā€ + buffalos and V nickels!
this is a new record for me in finding this many buffalos and V nickels in one hunt. Have a safe and happy Labor Day weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_7862.jpeg
    IMG_7862.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7863.jpeg
    IMG_7863.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7865.jpeg
    IMG_7865.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7864.jpeg
    IMG_7864.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 58
My favorite digs. Nickels.
Found my best gold in that range.
If there's nickels there's Gold left behind.
Love them Buffalo's.
Nice work.
Iā€™m still searching for the elusive gold coin. Maybe little Jimmy lost one šŸ¤­šŸ˜‚

Jimmy...That's what I run when I can! Same settings too. What were your nickles coming in at on the ID?
Mr. Ted, ā€œVā€ nickels ID 23/24 and buffalos ID 25/26. With the 900, nickels show up all through the 20ā€™s but mainly the numbers I previously mentioned. I do enjoy the expanded ID on the 900 when it comes to hunting for nickels.

Last Sunday, I went to a park that was established in 1905. I have been hunting this one particular area over the last few seasons with great success. This area was used as a childrenā€™s playground back in the day. I have removed hundreds of wheaties, many barber, rosey and Mercury dimes, IH pennies, and some V and Buffalo nickels.
On this hunt I cranked sensitivity to 27 on my equinox 900, recovery set at 4, with Park1 program. With the majority of high conductors out of the way, it was time for me to focus more on mid-conductors. Coins were pinpointer deep and I am well please at how well Park1 (best for high conductors) nailed 9ā€ + buffalos and V nickels!
this is a new record for me in finding this many buffalos and V nickels in one hunt. Have a safe and happy Labor Day weekend!
Heck Jimmy that is a whole herd. Congrats. I love the mid-tones and the old nickels that come with it. Congrats on the Merc and other finds as well..

Heck Jimmy that is a whole herd. Congrats. I love the mid-tones and the old nickels that come with it. Congrats on the Merc and other finds as well..
Thank you!

Mr. Ted, ā€œVā€ nickels ID 23/24 and buffalos ID 25/26. With the 900, nickels show up all through the 20ā€™s but mainly the numbers I previously mentioned. I do enjoy the expanded ID on the 900 when it comes to hunting for nickels.
Jimmy if you will permit me, hell maybe you already do this. Anyway with the 800 & the 900 I would set bin 2 for midtones. on the 900 bin 2 is 22 thru 29. I don't change the pitch, which is 6. Very pronounced, but what I do do, ya dodo ha ha bin one volume is set low, for me around 3. bin2 is at 25 and bin 3 at 16. 4 at 20 and of course 5 at 25. What this does when you hit a mid-tone it jumps out at you and all you need to do is investigate the #s and and listen for the roundness of the tone. I clobber nickels with those settings with the 800 & 900 and so much so I changed the pitch of the Legend bins to match and yes sir it clobbers the midtones as well.I have read some will raise the pitch for mid-tones to the same as high conductors but for me that would be way too much ear fatigue with all the pulltabs and other crap we dig in the nickel range. Anyway good luck and if you haven't tried it I hope you do. The guys that have s told me they wouldn't change back.

Jimmy if you will permit me, hell maybe you already do this. Anyway with the 800 & the 900 I would set bin 2 for midtones. on the 900 bin 2 is 22 thru 29. I don't change the pitch, which is 6. Very pronounced, but what I do do, ya dodo ha ha bin one volume is set low, for me around 3. bin2 is at 25 and bin 3 at 16. 4 at 20 and of course 5 at 25. What this does when you hit a mid-tone it jumps out at you and all you need to do is investigate the #s and and listen for the roundness of the tone. I clobber nickels with those settings with the 800 & 900 and so much so I changed the pitch of the Legend bins to match and yes sir it clobbers the midtones as well.I have read some will raise the pitch for mid-tones to the same as high conductors but for me that would be way too much ear fatigue with all the pulltabs and other crap we dig in the nickel range. Anyway good luck and if you haven't tried it I hope you do. The guys that have s told me they wouldn't change back.
Ironic you mention this. I have always hunted in all-tones in the 800 and 900. I was thinking this evening to try 5 tones and what do you know? Someone provided me with some great settings to try lol. I may give this a whirl this weekend! Thank you Mark!

Nice hunt! Congrats!!! I been detecting 15 years & only dug 2 Buffalo's, 2 V nickels.
I think my best was 4 Buffs in one hunt. You seem to be at it a lot longer then me, only started in 2015 and till I got an Etrac the nickels seem to elude me. For the first 2 years it seemed like the Buff was my white whale. When I got the 800 in 18 nickels were all I dug on some hunts. Over 450 one year, Buffs Vs, a worn shield and a bunch of war nickels. What state do you hunt in ? I'm in Pa. and it seems mid-tones in alot of places is all thats left. Good luck. Mark

I think my best was 4 Buffs in one hunt. You seem to be at it a lot longer then me, only started in 2015 and till I got an Etrac the nickels seem to elude me. For the first 2 years it seemed like the Buff was my white whale. When I got the 800 in 18 nickels were all I dug on some hunts. Over 450 one year, Buffs Vs, a worn shield and a bunch of war nickels. What state do you hunt in ? I'm in Pa. and it seems mid-tones in alot of places is all thats left. Good luck. Mark
I'm in Kansas. Yeah a lot of public places I hunt, I'm sure has been cherry picked over the years for the high tones.

I have only found 1 Shield nickel & it is a 1865 Stars & Rays variant. It is by far my favorite.

That is outstanding Jimā€¦ I am impressedā€¦it takes a lot of patience to search for nickelsā€¦.especially deeper ones.
Very well done!!šŸ‘šŸ‘
If this area was loaded with pulltabs, I may not have found them šŸ¤­