Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One long coin hunt

Longwalker

This story starts in 1956 the year I started school in kindergarten.We lived out in the sticks, way out in the sticks. This was the first of meeting other kids my age. My best friend became a kid who lived about a mile away. We would ride our bicycles back and forth to each others house to play. Down the street from his house was an abandon one room school house. It was party collapsed and rotting floors in some parts. We would sneak in and investigate / search / play in it on a regular basis. Next the the school was a house, the owner of the owned the property the school was on and frequently ran us off. When I was in the 5th grade we moved to the big city, or so I thought, population 1500. At 15 I got my drivers license. I also had my third home made metal detector. I took it to the with me and to visit the owner of the school property. I told him who I was, and that I was kid most frequently run off the property, and that I wanted to metal detect around the school. Well that day we talked a lot about things and the sun set with no detecting being done. i did leave with to things though, an old man who became a friend, and permission to hunt the school site anytime I wanted. I came back the next day to detect the site. The school at this time had been knock down and was a pile of rotting lumber about a 50 feet from where it once stood. The rock foundation was mostly in place and served as a good marker. During the hunt I kept finding broken parts to a large wood burning cast iron kitchen cook stove and lots of iron, no coins, just lots of iron. My home built detector had two modes, all metal, and off. This was after all 1967. Over the next thirty years I made many trips to the old school with every detector that I owned. I just new their had to be coins somewhere, and I was going to find them. Every new detector went there first.

Thirty years went by with no coins, but I think I found all the parts to the stove. It had been taken outside and busted up with a sledge hammer and was scattered everywhere. During those years a lot of detectors were used from most of the big name manufacturers.
And I was finding coins, but not at the school.

When talking to my Grand mother she told at the time the school was in use people in the area really didn't have any money to speak of so and lost coins would be a rare thing. This was about ten years into this hunt and I wasn't going to give up. Years later and many detectors I purchased a Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger. I found one penny that day an 1889 liberty.

Before I made my next trip to the school the old man died,relatives swooped in and no more detecting. Just go away and don't come back. Well the property got sold to the local school district and that puts it off limits in this state. I just got the Whites prizm 6T and it will never go to the old site. Sometimes we lose old friends and places to hunt.

I enjoyed them both, and that's the coin in the picture. Of all coins and jewelery found over the years this is my favorite find.

Good hunting to all, Longwalker

and finally finding that coin. It is sad that you lost your friend and can no longer hunt there, but you are fortunate that you have some great memories of the man and old school...priceless! Thanks for sharing this story, I loved it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

the treasure you found was a friend. I admire your going back over so many years. I have had places that didn't turn out and I just gave up on them but there was probably still treasure there.

I imagine that old man had found a treasure in you too. People forget the old folks but they can be so interesting to talk to.

Welcome to our little part of the web. Small but friendly:thumbup:

My wife and I at one time owned a ranch over in Gonzales County, Texas and there was the remains of a one room school towards the back of the property. There was not much left of it and it was my understanding that it was in use in the early 1900's...was a school for black kids. I used the metal detector there one time and the only thing that I found was a old rusty metal button.

A few years ago, I encountered a minor health problem and the wife thought it best that we move to the city...a move that I have always regretted. As a result, I have sorta refrained from writing stories about that phase in my life, but maybe it is time for me to bite the bullet and start writing again about that part of my life. Your story caused me to reflect back on many good things that has happened in my life, thank you. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Sounds like you found 2 treasures there, your old friend and the Indian head coin. Those one room school house can be very good. There are still quite a few in this state, but most are protected by the historical society and off limits. I know of a few that were made into homes and I had the pleasure of hunting them. Not a lot of coins, but I did find some old lead toys, and cast cars etc. Not sure where you are but here they have they old Grange Halls also. Those can be pretty productive. Here in CT. getting permissions is the hard part and getting harder.

George-CT

What a great story. I can sympathize with the penny being your favourite. When people ask me my best find, I show them a WWII compass that I could probably not get $20.00 for. But it is still my personal favourite.

Calm seas

Mikie

Very good story! I am impressed that you were building your own detectors at a young age, Wow!

Do you have a picture of it? Did you find it while diving? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

As far as where I live Graham Washington. It's about 20 miles south of Tacoma. The place really was the sticks back then, I didn't see my first black kid till I was 9 years old. If it was wild and lived in the woods it was frequently in the back yard. We lived in a tar paper shack. I kid you not Tar paper all the way around. It was my job to get up before everybody else and build a fire in the potbelly stove. Being out so early in the morning I met all the local wild life face to face. Times sure have changed, and if someday some young stud shows up and wants to hunt. You betcha kid have at it.....Need a trowel..........rock hammer...........screw driver..........??

The bottom was pretty muddy and it was dark and visibility was almost zero. The detector went off, I scrambled around and found an 'object'. In the no vis situation, I could not identify it. When I surfaced, that is when I discovered what it was.... a WWII engineers compass. [it says the year on the back] It is unique [to me anyway] and as I said, probably not very expensive. But it is still my favourite piece.

Calm seas

Mikie