Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One Familys' Journey

My second youngest daughter turned seventeen ten days ago and it caused me to reflect on the years in between and the struggles that Grace and I were faced with to get to where we are today. At the time of her conception, Grace and I were living in a one bedroom apartment that counted forty-eight stairs to climb. We didn't mind the exercise per say and having children together seemed an unlikelyhood, as we had been told that our chances for children were less than ten percent, medically speaking. We had come to accept this as our "hand to play" in life and carried on with the simple things that brought us great pleasure. Birdwatching, afternoons walking the beach and rides in the car, chatting and stopping for a bite at some country diner, the likes of which you would see in some of the older films with Hepburn and Tracey. Our budget back then didn't allow for much as I had child support payments and other debts that one carries from the result of a divorce a few years previous. We didn't mind though. We always met our responsibilities and if anyone was to do without some things, it was going to be Grace and I. We proved that it didn't require money to find happiness in life. The year was 1988 and things were about to change for the two of us. Grace started to feel queasy in the mornings and we initially gave it little thought, as our future together seemed to have already been written. But, we were soon to find out otherwise. A trip to the doctor's office confirmed what we thought couldn't happen and I will never forget Grace's excitement upon showing me the first ultrasound photo of our precious cargo in waiting. We were not prepared financially speaking, but we knew in our hearts that we would overcome any struggles that would lay before us. After the ninth week of pregnancy, Grace phoned me at work to give me the frightening news that she had started to hemmorage and I rushed home to bring her to the hospital. The prognosis wasn't good and the doctor's on staff had scheduled her for a D and C the morning to follow. We were naturally saddened and felt a deep sense of loss at what we thought awaited us. I sat with her that night at the hospital and a few tears were shed. Morning came and I awoke in the chair beside her bed. Grace's condition had subsided somewhat but the doctor's still advised that we go through with the recommended procedure. Grace was not ready to give up hope just yet. She informed the medical staff that things just felt "different" this morning and that she had made the choice to return home and come back IF her condition persisted as the day before. I remain forever grateful that she had followed her instincts ! Seven months later we were blessed with our beautiful Audrey. Thirteen months later, to our utter surprise and pleasure, our equally beautiful Abbey was to follow. We lived in that one-bedroom apartment until the oldest was two, almost three, as a seven month strike in 1989/90 had prevented us from moving forward in the financial sense. We were atop of our building and our saving grace had been the fact that the rooftop was our patio. It was a large fenced-in area that was originally intended for the building occupants to sunbathe etc. We made the best of it but not without struggle. I purchased a used portable washer and dryer set that rolled out when needed. At least now the laundry could be done without one of us having to run down the stairs to use the building facilities. And I worked every overtime shift available as Grace did her best to make our place a happy "home". Two years after our strike was over we bought a small rundown home that took us five years to renovate. Our first night of possession of this property saw our two little ones shouting with glee at the sight of squirrels and rabbits running about in THEIR yard ! This was a first for them. Makes me smile just thinking about it. The day after we put the finishing touches on our humble abode, we sold it for a small profit and purchased a larger home. It was a nice house in a sub-division near a river but we found that privacy was a commodity not to be had. We too like to sit in the mornings on our deck in our PJ's and though we are still "in the city", our setting at our current home is really tough to beat. It has a charm and character in and of itself and we have never been happier in any quarters of living than this one provides.(Aside from the landscaping and yardwork that is.) Funny thing life is. We had never envisioned that this would be our path, but needless to say, in looking back, we wouldn't change a thing. Struggle does make you appreciate and it does build character. Like the tale of the butterfly. Without struggling from the cocoon on it's own, it would never have harnessed the strength to fly !

I can imagine many that read it will see parallels with their early years. I sure can mine.

I was lucky though. When my first wife and I got married she was expecting. I was working but didn't have a dime. We went to a realitor and told him our situation and he found a little shack we could have for 6400 bucks. 450 down. I didn't have it. The realitor put up the down payment for us with no interest for a year. Our house payment was 65 bucks a month and we still struggled because our second came 11 months after the first.

We struggled but we always ate and I always paid my bills. We didn't feel like we were struggling really because none of our friends had much.

It sounds like you have done well for yourself and if you have a good woman, the rest don't mean squat. It is a shame they all eventually go nuts though. :D It is called PMS like in pmslinda :D

Thanks for the post. I was about to write an obit for this place

we spent a total of 65 dollars. For the whole weekend. I will never forget the first night when I got a Motel Room and I said to the lady at the desk that I wanted a room for me and my Girlfriend. I had not gotten used to the wife thing.

She gave me a look like a calf gives a new gate!! You know, all squinty like. I laughed nervously and said, I mean my wife. That old bag made me show my wedding lisence. It was a different world back then. Now days you could take you favorite sheep in some of those places

I know that Alice and I were in a similar boat when we started out. We had $35.00 in the bank, one month pre-paid on our apartment and no immediate jobs. But, like you, we persisted and can now reflect on a life lived well [in our minds anyway] and a successful session of child rearing!!!

Well done. :thumbup:

sunny skies

M

It's still I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go but we have a good life. When retirement comes near we'll sell this place and take our equity and buy something smaller. The youngest two have one more year of highschool and then university so I imagine we'll be a few years here yet. My girls love it when their grandfather tells them about the struggles of times past. I like them hearing it also. Having said that, they've had it pretty darn good. I suppose that's a good thing.:)

Times were sure different then. Even more so for you guys a few years older. A guy I work with was telling me last year that his daughter and son-in-law's biggest dilemma after getting married was which house they were going to live in. They were given one from each set of parents. Can you believe that ?? Sure wish I had that problem !!

Grace's second time also. What's new for her at times is old news for me. Other than that, I have no complaints.:)

You and I are more alike than you know, Rob. You write a very enjoyable story. Until you have children, you don't know what a blessing they are in your life. I just finished arguing with my son (22) while putting large racing numbers on his doors. He couldn't wait 10 minutes while I ate my dinner so he proceeded to mess up the top half of the first one. I have never done it before but they came out looking good. I tried to explain to him (for the 50th time) the importance of patience. Don't think it sunk in again. I wouldn't change a thing though. :thumbup:

Reminded me so much of the path life has taken my wife and I.Married at 19 without 2 nickels to rub together.A father at 20.Hard times but great memories.We made the best of it.Some said we wouldn't make it 6 months....too young they said.We celebrated our 30TH a couple of weeks ago

i suspect that is why there is such a tight group here, we are all different but the same kinda folk.
Thank you for that.:clapping:

continue on so we can experience what the future brings! My children were my life, and still are to a great degree, but those grandchildren are the light of my life right now! Such joys!

Thanks for sharing your story with us! It was truly heart warming! Grace was very smart for trustibg her intuition! My mother was told she would never have any children, and would not accept this! She had several miscarriges in between all three of us, me, Lil Brother and Arkie! But she delivered us all almost four years to the day between us! She never gave up!

Just goes to show that some things are just meant to be! :) You should write more stories!:)

Walking instead of running ! And getting to your destination just as quick while taking the time to enjoy the ride !

We would have made it also. I too was married at 19 the first time. A father at 20 ! My oldest is 30 and the second oldest 28. Having said that, had I met Grace at that age, I wouldn't have my two oldest so I still choose to have things as they turned out. Life's a journey, isn't it. I feel fortunate to have met folks like you all to be able to share the trials and tribulations with.:)

I bought a little trailer last week that I can pull behind my riding mower. It's not that I really needed it but I'm thinking more down the road for the day when there are wee ones running around here. Just to bring them for rides more than anything. Tell me I'm not starting to think like an old fogie !! :lol:

feed the animals and ride there bicycles at our place, or walk to the pond and feed the fish! It's wonderful to have them, and the best part is you can send them home when they wear you out!!! :lol:

I have said before, my grandson's are the only men in the world that still think I'm perfect! :)