Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

On keeping records

steve in so la

I got to thinking. (I know, don't hurt yourself) If anyone believes they will become a better detectorist over the years then records are for you. As we go along & become better we can go back to previous hot spots and get more finds. I have been detecting so long I have done this repeated pattern a number of times. And sometimes at the same spot as before.

One particular yard I had "cleaned out" and a couple years later I decided to hit it again. I dug a Walking Liberty half right dead center of the yard. Such a large target , how did I miss it ?

So maybe make a new years resolution to keep records and then go back after you have learned your machine more.

Steve in so la

Happy New Year Steve! Keeping records is a key part of the hobby!!

Happy New Year Steve! Must admit I use to keep records but haven't for the last year or so. Don't know why I quit? Maybe because my finds were getting slim or maybe because the opportunity to detect wasn't always there for a variety of reason; health, etc. The only record I have now is my memory and that's not all that good anymore :rofl:

I kept records on paper and in my mind when I detected and often went back to the same areas where I had found something good or many items or not much at all, as they were handy and close to home! One thing that has always been mysterious like you finding the Walking Half in the middle of the yard you had detected before! My friend Ginny was back in a park again and I believe it was Forest Park or one of the other big and popular parks that have detected over and over by many detectorists! Well, around the water fountain she got a beep and dug and found a silver dollar...now we know that this same area had been detected before, but no one found that Silver Dollar...and why didn't they we couldn't explain it! Maybe it was just for her! God Bless and keep detecting as long as you can for age and many other things catch up with us and prevent ppl from still doing what they once did as hobbies or whatever....time catches up with us all at sometime in our lives! Amen! :angel: Ma

I've been detecting so long, I started with a stick tied to a wagon wheel! :lmfao:
Last year I shared with the club, if you get them little calendar books from your insurance agent or??? You can write all the info on each date you go detecting. Good post Steve.

Thank you Steve and just stay healthy and less illnesses you will have in your elderly years! You are only as old as you feel and I think you feel young and won't give up :detecting: until you can't go any longer! Happy New Year to you and Nancy also! :angel: Ma

LOL Mike! You reminded me of my brother who would nail a stick to a bent Prince Albert tobacco can and had a rim off a small wheel and would push the rim and roll it up and down our gravel road for fun as we didn't have many toys but made our own! We did have the whole outdoors with trees and a sand pile near the creek to play in and the creek for wading and swimming and catching crawdads; also looked for various rocks of different shapes, sizes and colors! Young Rock Hounds? Guess I always was a collector by copying mom as she loved collecting things and she and dad never threw anything away as they lived through the depression and didn't have much but what they did have they kept in case it was needed! Now those were the good ole days! lol! :angel: Ma

Yep that brings back memories of my first great detector ------A BROOM STICK AND A MAGNET AT THE END.:clapping::rofl: