Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Omega?

The Omega is one md i've been considering in my extensive search for the md for me. But I have a question...when I spoke with a dealer on the phone and mentioned this md he told me they have EMI issues. Now is this a legit problem with these? and what exactly is EMI? I know it has something to do with intereference. I dont' want to rule out a good md needlessly.

EMI, also called radio frequency interference is caused by many things powerlines cell phones ect, it depends on what areas you hunt if you do most of your hunting in city parks it can be a problem but most of the time you can turn the sensitivity down and still do ok. im sure there will be some omega users jumping in soon to give you some solid info on the omega good luck hh

Well I read that it was designed by someone that was well respected and i have read some good things about it. Kind of suprised that they would design a md that had issues with something that is unavoidable in most cases.

For the money, the Omega just might be the best kept coin shooting secret in this great hobby. I hunt in and around a major south eastern city and very seldom do I encounter emi issues. But if I do, using a little less sen remedies the problem. It is easy to use, id's very accurately, has nice depth, has a good compliment of coils available and is flat out fun to use. Good luck with your decision. Oh, you did hear right. Dave Johnson is well respected in the detecting industry. HH jim tn

I currently own the Omega. In Idaho the soil is fairly mineralized. I also owned the T2. Which went deeper? The T2. By a little bit in my opinion. Why? Because it was built to be more sensitive. The Omega can suffer from EMI, that you will hear. So does a Garrett AT Pro. Which in my opinion is a clone of the Omega. Both are excellent machines. Probably the best values for their price point on the current market. Alot of detectors may not allow the user to audibly hear the EMI, but rest assured the EMI is affecting the detector the same as one you do hear the EMI on. No way around that. The laws of electromagnetic physics don't change for a detector whether EMI is heard, or not. I find my Omega to be rather stable. Now if your using the 11" DD coil, it is more prone to EMI due to its size. Coils are like a antennae, the larger they are, the more reception (EMI) they pick up. However, the 5" DD coil, I can run at almost max sensitivity. It will nab a penny at 6" easily. No EMI issues at high sens in my experience with it. If you get the Omega with all 3 coils you will have a formidable arsenal. Handles just about every situation. Found way more silver with my Omega than my other unit.
Remember this, the sensitivity of a machine, when engineered properly, will allow the user to hear deeper signals. My other machine is quieter, but it doesn't go as deep. Its what a person wants their machine to be capable of. The Omega has a well deserved reputation as a 'coinkiller'.

Thanks guys!! Well it may very well be between the omega and possibly a vaquero. I am trying to cut my price point down but still get an effective machine. :) Love hearing from other omega users.

The Omega was designed to be very easy to use, versatile, and particularly good on coins. Good machine for a beginner, yet with performance high enough to be taken seriously by experienced detectorists.

Another machine you might want to take a look at is the G2 (or the similar Gold Bug GP or Pro), which is also very easy to use, even more versatile, and particularly good at finding coins among iron trash although not quite as "deep" on coins in clean ground.

You asked about electrical interference. As some other people have posted, all metal detectors are vulnerable to electrical interference, but not necessarily to the same kind or degree. The G2/GB machines have a reputation for rarely having much problem with electrical interference. Between the Omega and (for instance) the T2, in a given area one may be affected and the other not, whereas in a different area the situation may be reversed. If you're experiencing electrical interference, there are basically two solutions.

1. Turn the sensitivity control down, that's what it's for.

2. If you leave the sensitivity cranked up, you may notice that when the detector is not in motion there's a lot of chatter, but as soon as you start swinging over the dirt, it calms down a whole bunch. This is a more sensitive way to search but you'll have to put up with some false noise.

--Dave J.

Thanks Dave J :) I was watching some youtube videos of it last night. I also looked at the T2 on kellyco's compare page and compared several md's.
One thing i did notice is that the T2 is a bigger/longer md. Apparently the min. length is 45" and most others are 4-5 "in shorter. I dont know how that would affect me but i'm only 5' tall. lol

Don't forget to take a look at the Teknetics Delta 4000, it is a sweet little detector for the money.

The two machines which Dave J mentioned are both very good machines, for me anyway. If you have never used a detector before, I probably wouldn't suggest either the Omega or G2/GoldBug Pro, but if you want to try a First Texas machine, the Delta could be a good starting point. If you stick with the hobby, you would soon get your money back, and then you would also be in a position to upgrade (to Omega etc) if that's what you wanted to do.

On the point with EMI and the Omega, Dave J's comments reflect perfectly my experience in the field...there are some areas I hunt where the Omega runs beautifully (and quietly) when I am swinging, but as soon as I lie it down to retrieve a target, it chatters a lot, until I get it upright again...then it's fine. In some areas, reducing the sensitivity is the better way to reduce the chatter, but I do this very rarely.

Good luck with your decision.

treasure4pleasure,

Thought I would let you know that Dave J. is the Chief Designer for First Texas Products, they are the ones that make Bounty Hunter, Teknetics, and Fisher brand metal detectors. The man knows about detectors.

Joe

The nice thing about the Omega is that it tracks the ground while coil is being swept (as Furious T points out).....so you don't get as much interference when coil is in motion (searching for targets). Then when coil stops...as in digging target...you hear the chatter. I think its a great feature as I can run sensitivity high in my fairly strong mineralized ground to get excellent depth.

I am breathless, sometimes it is hard to believe that such a pretty girl would dig in the dirt like us. Thanks Flintstone
treasure4pleasure said:
Thanks everyone for your input. :)
Yes Flintstone that is my picture.