Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

omega or gamma

don't post much, but was looking to buy another detector and thought you guys might help. mostly I hunt coins and jewelry in schools and parks. theres a couple of schools with deep older coins that I have found ( 9 inches plus). have a whites spectrum now ( i like the machine ) but cant swing it as long because my shoulder. I thought about a fisher f75 but I don't want a long learning curve. the gamma and omega look like they would put the fun back into detecting. Do they have a small coil for these detectors? I know both use the same freq 7.8 so they should be interchangeable. hows the depth on these? what about bottle caps?, I had a fisher 1266 and that thing loved iron. also pull tabs? I can notch most of them out with my spectrum ( because you can notch out any number not just category ), if I notch out pull tabs category on my spectrum they still come in on the nickel scale. I don't know where I could look at one of the detectors before buying, so I just have to guess which one to buy and take a chance. any info would be great help guys.
Thanks Norm

I have the G but not the O. The obvious differences between that two are the interfaces. Omega uses a combo of knobs and menu controls while the Gamma only uses the latter. The Omega has additional displayed live data about the ground balance point vs what's under the coil at that second similar to the Fisher F-5. This is basically a way to keep the operator informed of if and how far off the ideal GB setting he or she is at that moment. Another difference that might weigh in for your choice is the mounting of the display pod. G is rod mounted (like the F-70) while the O is grip mounted (like the T-2 etc). They can get every bit of th depth you saw with the Spectrum but may not quite keep up with the extreme depth of a 1266 although that is just an opinion based on memory of when I had a 1266 and 1270. Also in some areas, you could actually get better depth than a 1266 since it's GB is preset and you can adjust that of the G & O. The additional accessory coils were promised for release this spring sometime. The notching system is by entire segment, not by single ID numbers like your Whites has. I seldon use notching so I've not had the chance to see how often some tabs in the ground can and do actually fall below the tab segment. Of course rolled up beavertails usually do. The G is much less prone than a 1266 to prompt the operator to dig deep iron. The Fe3O4 segmented meter helps a lot. The numbers themselves pretty much tells the story when you check the target from multiple directions. It's also very easy to toggle to all metal in order to size the object in order to further determine the likelihood of iron. IMO, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Hope this helps at least a little.