Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Omega 8000 at the beach = $13 in clad (in Japan)

imi_wakaranai

I have a new detector, the Tek 8000 w/ 3 coil package. I received it last week on 8/18. 1st-time use that evening was in an open field to get a feel for the MD. I didn't find much besides some cracked shell casings from the Battle of Okinawa. This weekend I was able to get away to the military vacation resort, Okuma. I happily pulled in 63 coins in about 3.5 hours. Total, there was about $8 US clad and about $5 Japanese clad. The Japanese clad came to 13 coins, nice! Mind you, this was all on the beach. Which by the way is an excellent spot to learn a detector. Why would you want to dig through 8 in of dirt if you have the option of sifting through 8 in of sand? The total came to 63 coins and about 30 pull tabs. Back & forth I ran the MD at all metal 99 sens and at times went 54 disc with 80-99 sens. All times I used 2-tone. There was a lot of black sand and was not able to GB when in the wet sand. The 8000 is awesome, was able to lock onto 27 quarters & 16 nickels of the bunch. I know that many do better, but I am impressed.

Being away for 4 years, I forgot how to clean cruddy clad. I tossed everything in a bowl and diluted with vinegar. All coins are orange now, anyways. One coin was a '64 nickel, is there any silver in the '64 nickels?

Oh yeah, I used the 11" coil which I found a little difficult to pinpoint, any tips?

Thanks & HH.

JASON

imi_wakaranai said:
I have a new detector, the Tek 8000 w/ 3 coil package. I received it last week on 8/18.
Not only is the Omega a great detector in itself, with the 3-coil package you've got a LOT for the $$$. Time in use will help you determine the better coil for the particular hunting you're doing.

imi_wakaranai said:
Back & forth I ran the MD at all metal 99 sens and at times went 54 disc with 80-99 sens. All times I used 2-tone.
Personally, I use the d2 two-tone Audio ID in the Discriminate mode most of the time, unless I'm hitting a typical site with an abundance (I hope) of change, such as a wood-chip or sand-filled playground. In those cases, and a few others, I prefer d4 as that Tone ID function works great with US coins.

I'm curious why the '54' Discriminate level when hunting on a beach which could have good gold jewelry? Usually a men's ring and similar larger size gold items ring in the 5