Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oldest Metal Item Found in the U.S.?

ScouseRicey1

Hi Everyone,

I'm quite lucky living in England, with lots of history. Does anyone know the oldest 'man-made' metal item found in the U.S.? Also, what are people's oldest finds?

Kind Regards,

Colin

The oldest metal items where not made here. They were brought here by the settlers. The Spanish and French had colonies here about 1535. I would say it is possible to have coins from the 1400's. There is someone who found Roman coins in Canada, but who knows how they got here. The Indians made some things from gold, but that would be hard to date. My oldest metal find is a Chinese coin, 1735-1795.

I have a guy that I hunt with that got what is called a prehistoric copper spear point in Minnesota that is estimated from 3500-6000 year old from a professor at our local college. I have found 2 of the smaller ones over the years that are estimated at over 1000 years old.Now coin wise the oldest in this parts are around 1850 with a couple older ones found.

I also subscribe to Ancient American Magazine. There are many reports about lost Viking, Roman, Greek and even Phoenican colonies being found here! So finding any of these types of coins here is a possibility! Also on the West Coast sometimes they find Chinese and Japanese Artifacts that predate Columbus by 500 to 1000 years! If one can get a copy of this magazine, it is a real good monthly read!..........................HH......................Joe

My oldest (identifiable) coin is mid 1700's but most likely was imported. I have, however found metal items such as pewter spoons and buttons that are from early Dutch settlers, probably 1670's or 1680's. Once again, these items were most likely imported. I am sure that smiths were forging from the time the first Spaniards settled in the St. Augustine, Florida area in 1565. The first successful iron forge was the Saugus Iron Works, founded in 1646.