Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oldest Coin I Have Found!! Other Cool Finds Too!!

chipmaker29

Had brief amount of time to hunt in my yard again over last several days. Found my first ring!! Look @ closeup pic of ring. It is clearly marked 18k but i cannot get it to clean up! idk why but i have tried and it is still very dark in color. no markings to indicate that it is 18k plated. can any of you explain this?

Hunting around the HUGE maple tree in my front yard and found 2 old pocket knives & the old kids toy. looks like a farmer man that is carrying a bundle of straw. cleaned up real well but base broken off & i couldnt find its head in hole. hunted further got great coin tone @ 5". cut plug & 2 kennedy half dollars right on top of each other. they are both 1971, not silver but was still cool find for me:)

Found the unidentified iron item @ 7" down. i do not know what it is but appears to be some kind of tool with hammer head on one end & small ax/hatchet head on other. Do any of you guys recognize this item?

Now for the coolest yet for me. Was swinging under the maple tree and got a solid zinc hit on QXT @ 6". I cut plug and cleared some dirt out of hole. didnt see anything so i swung detector over plug & hole and QXT indicated still in hole! move dirt around with probe and THERE IT WAS!! it was really green and dirty so i ran inside and rinsed it off & it is a 1865 2 cent piece! this coin is in awesome condition! all detail very clear. i am still stoked over it. oldest coin i have found on my property. after i settled down & covered hole back over, started swing again and about 4ft from where i found coin i got a hit, cut plug & pulled out what appears to be part of an old lantern. really cool find for me!

wanted to share these items & i am tickled over the coin. makes me wonder what was goin on when this coin was dropped there so many years ago.

:usaflag:Nice finds !! That hammer/axe head looks like a tomahawk head to me. I know that early indians did'nt have smelting capabilities, but I bet it's an early reproduction. Very good day of detecting..I'm impressed.

That 2 center is a beauty and quite a nice find. Just because a ring has a marking does not make it so, clearly a plated ring. It could have came from anywhere, but we call them Mexican Gold/Silver jewelry.

thanks to you both!

also thanks for clarifying the ring. i am pretty knowledgeable on more modern jewelry but not on anything vintage. i know older jewelry was marked differently. i did not figure ring was gold but i have no way of dating it so w/o markings that i recognized (as far as plating id) i was wondering.

the coin is a real prize for me...glad i did all zinc signals here...lol

Your 2 center is a very pretty coin. That one is still on my wish list. What was going on under the Maple when it was lost? Maybe a nap. I doubt Maples live that long though. Nice finds.

boy that 2 cnet is in nice shape , what a cool find you know it seems around old trees is a good spot , peple sat under them clibed on them and lose things i better check that tree out on the farm i was hunting , but that coin is in good shape and old

Very good finds.......old trees= old goodies.....hh.....Dan

:usaflag:About that tomahawk head. I would say that until you get it looked at by an expert, you could assume that it could be as old as 17th or 18th century. More likely 19th century...and then again I could be completely wrong and it's just a reproduction. Get it checked out and let us know. Very cool find in my book.:super:

McDave said:
:usaflag:About that tomahawk head. I would say that until you get it looked at by an expert, you could assume that it could be as old as 17th or 18th century. More likely 19th century...and then again I could be completely wrong and it's just a reproduction. Get it checked out and let us know. Very cool find in my book.:super:

any idea how or where i can have it checked out. any other places online that i could email picture & get in contact with expert? i have no clue as how to go about it.

It looks a lot like atool used for roofing. I can see where that would have worked for trimming and nailing wood shake shingles on roofs. Shakes were cutfrom cedar trees so they were soft and easy to wrk with. A hammer on one side and a axe/wedge on the other looks like the great grandfather of the modern hatchet! And of course I could be wrong. But I know I'm rt when I say....cool find, keep us updated.