Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

older coins

Like my "author name" says, I am new to detecting, so you guys are probably gonna laugh at me for asking this, but why is it that older quarters, made out of silver, are so much cleaner and shinier when u get them outta the dirt than the newer clad quarters? I found a 1952 today, and you could barely see any kind of dirt or anything on it, but the newer ones, i always have to wash off to be able to see what year they are?!?!?!

Hi NewTD. What you've discovered is how nice Silver stays in the ground,
compared to the thin Copper cladding on coins after 1964, the last year for
90% Silver coins. The thin copper coating on clads cannot hold up to
the ground minerals that attack it and cause them to turn dinjey and
corrode. You see, Silver is a "noble" metal, like Gold, which is the
"noblest", which means that they are more resistant to corrosion than
copper or zinc. Actually, clads are coated with an alloy, called
"cupronickel", composed of copper and nickel. Nickels will also turn
dark and corrode by mineral effects. The most worthless U.S. coins ever
minted are of course the copper clad zinc cents, which have no
resistance at all to corrosion, sadly. Mother Earth will reclaim the
zinc very quickly, meaning that in a short number of years in ground
they will completely disappear.
It's a sad comment on the weakening economy of America, similar to
what happened to the old Roman empire, that started out with Gold
and Silver coinage and ended up with Lead.
Happy Hunting, there's still Silver & Gold out there!
..W:thumbup:

WAYNE/TX answered the ? completely. I just wanted to say congrats on the 52 and welcome to the hobby. These guys as you see are full of knowledge and are always willing to help so don't feel your question is ever dumb. That was an impressive find for anyone especially since your new to the hobby. I just love the old silver coins! Keep swinging and may the gold and silver run thick for you.

Thanks for the info Wayne/TX and Pack Rat for the info, and the well wishes! I'm really having fun with this thing. Definately getting my money out of it that's for sure!

way to go, ntd! there's nuthin' like finding your first silver piece! there's probably more around there somewhere. great find, and good job! hh,