Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old vs new Sov GT?

epi-hunter

Hi everyone,

I have decided to add the Sovereign GT to my arsenal. The E-Trac has been my main machine since 2009, but I think the GT will be better in some of my land areas plus I will be picking up saltwater beach detecting in 2013.

My original plan was to buy a used unit, but after discovering they are relatively hard to find used and therefore relatively expensive, I'm considering taking the plunge on a new unit... especially with the 5 year warrantee right nnow. My question is, are there considerations regarding older vs new units that might lead to advantages of one over another? I'm thinking of the Ireland versus Malaysia manufacturing sites, as it seems people lean towards the former (my E-Trac was made in Ireland). Are there any other issues, design changes that might be important?

Thanks for any info. :)

Hi epi even if you get a used GT the warranties is transferable i have seen many Sov GT,s for sale lately most are not even 6 months old on the box it comes in it will say where it is made , i had mine since 2009 they are a tough machine very durable i use it on the beaches and mostly farm fields IMHO the best hunting machine made mine is made in US. Hope this helps ya good luck Jim

Epi,always good to buy new for the warranty,but sometimes you can get a deal on a used Sovereign that include extra coils,S-1 probe,and meter.Good Luck Ron

Thanks to both of you who took the time to reply... for some reason I'm not seeing all the used ones out there, but I'll keep looking. Right now I'm leaning towards a new one which I will have to order soon before they stop making them. Sounds like the manufacturing location is not a big deal.... thanks again!

Used Sovereigns, and in particular the Elite or GT, seem to be hard to come by and usually go for a premium price. I've been watching the classified forum since Minelab said they are discontinuing the GT and don't really see a flood of units being sold off or anything. Three or so years ago I got a GT with the meter for I think $650 if memory serves, which at the time I thought was a great price and still do. It was almost new but had some dings in the case due to a rough ride in the back of the guy's truck on a trip, but I was never one to worry about the cosmetic look of my detectors so long as they worked properly. I got mine by putting a Want To Buy post up and find that a great way to find a machine or coil from people who might otherwise not want to post a for sale ad. Great thing about Findmall is you can click on a buyer or seller's name and review their history of posts and how long they've been on Findmall. In particular look at previous for sale/buy dealings they've had. I trust Findmall more than I do Ebay as nobody is probably going to build a reputation on a forum for years just so they can then scam somebody.

Thanks critterhunter. If I could buy a relatively new one for $650 even without a meter I would consider it, but they are few and far between. On ebay they seem to go (used) from anywhere from upper $500's to low $700's, depending. But I am thinking that it might be worth it to shell out the extra $ and get a new one with the 5 year warranty, given that they will not be available after this month, instead of taking a chance on a used one (I always seem to find an excuse to buy new...) :rolleyes: :)

You are correct in thinking on getting a new one as some have been tinkered with. I found this out from experience, just like how to get the most out of the Sovereign as it is experience that gets you to learn this or any detector.
I used to buy used Sovereigns from those didn't want to spend the time to learn them and was surprised at how many of these someone had tinkered with inside the control box and I had to repair before I could sell them to anyone. The tone were way to high and everything sounded the same to me and those I bought them from said that is the way they bought them new and why they were having problem understanding them. I learned quick to ask if any mods were done to them before I bought any more.
If you know the person well and know it has not been tinkered with then it maybe OK to buy a used one.
I am sure one of the sponsors of these forums could make you a good deal on a new one and you know it will be good and have a good warranty.

Rick