Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Time 4H Fairs ...

SurfCutter

As I have stated earlier Dad was very much involved with the 4H and he would tell of some of his and my uncles adventure from weathering the 1938 Hurricane in Springfield Ma. during the Big E and the like to later no doing the judging and announcing for the different showings at all the local fairs .the best part growing up was he would get free tickets to get in to the fairs and each year Growing up I looked forward to the new seasons . Dad did not like mid-ways and let me learn early on not to be drawn in to their game and false value ....
At first it was easy to hold back there lure , no money so no rides and no game playing ....that was fine with me as I enjoyed seeing the animals and the other exhibits both 4H and the state builds or better living building depending on the fair ....but soon the music and the lights would draw my attention but it was only later that when I had my own money I finished learning his lesson ..one of my first fond memories of the fairs or maybe embarrassments Took place at Marshfield Fair Marshfield Ma. Dad was doing the judging of the different classes of cattle and swine and sheep . Mom had dropped me off with Dad and he was to keep and I on me , being the sweet , well behaved and innocent child I was the fair staff gave me a ribbon just like my dads only it read Jr. Asst, Judge ...
What a deal for a 5year old to have and to be in the ring with dad as he did the judging and announced each winner
Well as things go I so tired of just watching and wanted to help so as the last walk around for one of the dairy classes was being done and they all lined up I pointed to the one I liked ....
Well that exhibitor started to bring their cow in to line with the others that my dad had already pointed to ....:blush:
well that upset the whole thing dad pointed them all back in to line and had to run them through again worst was the office took over the PA and made the announcement Pay Attention to the JUDGE and NOT the JR.ASST. JUDGE.....but all went well the one I picked out did get to place for a ribbon so I was not far off ...
Another memory for the fair was a bit of a shock ....to this day I can not remember just what far it was that it happened at but dad did not have to do any work at this fair that day but did have to meet up with some one I was about 8 or 9 at the time and was aloud to go off by myself to some degree and was soon happily watching one of the 4H demo's , Dad was off talking to someone at the other end of the ring ....
Well there was this light pole beside the ring and not really watch were I put my hand I put it out to lean against it well my little finger landed perfectly in a live OPEN light socket ....:yikes::surprised:

It's a funny feeling to see and hear things and not be able to move ...it all passed very slowly to see and hear the announcer call out if anyone knows that child and to get their finger out of that socket ....
The next thing I know dad was grabbing me and just riped me up off the ground and out of that plug ...

I was a bit shaken up and do not know much of the aftermath other than the ride home and how the salt on the Fry's Dad bought for me to eat hurt the blackened spot on my finger . I don't think Dad
did any work at that fair again or if he did I never went ....

The chance to have money and go out on the mid-way came Weymouth Fair , Weymouth Ma. sadly this fair ground is no more and now a home association development , just think of all the old coins and stuff buried deep under the loam of all those yards . Well I was given a whole 5 dollars to spend anyway I wanted so of I went with 2 of my neighborhood friends well instead of going to the better living building as planned we head to the forbidden Mid Way .... it was not very long before one of the hawkers had me in their spell and was sucked in to playing a dart game ...dart easy right...hit the balloon 3 feet away get prize .....small prize .....very small prize well this fish was soon parted with said wind fall of cash and left with just a same amount of change and it was with heavy heart going through the better living building and seeing all the things I could have gotten if I had started there first it hurt even more that the younger brother of my friend who had tried to stop me in my folly knew at his younger age what I should have known it was rigged and a bad deal at the start ....live and learn ....
As for the rides at the Midway I figured that out quick after dad said , is it better to buy a 2 minute ride or save your money and buy the ride ?.... in this case a go cart and later due to good grades a mini bike ......

Bill G.

fix in the Vermont house of apple pie and vanilla ice cream, and then off to Maine for the baked potatoe. Last week was Woodstock to fill up on strawberry short cake and peach cobbler. All those are healthy if eaten with your left hand. We did the fairs for along time and we also showed up at the BIG E in 4-H groups with the horses. Always liked that one, Woodstock and Fryberg the best.

George-CT

If you ever was there during the 70's and 80's and saw any of the 4H judging or the Daily Dairy Show in the Farmarama (sp?) you have more than likely seen my dad . He would spend his time there during the fair then be off to the MV Fishing Derby a couple of days later ...He got a kick out of as he put it "Telling the city people this is a cow and this is how / were milk comes from ....":lmfao:
Bill G.

Going to the fairs were big time entertainment when I was a boy...we looked forward to going to them. I loved you story as it brought back lots of good memories. Like you, I never did win much when playing the games. Thanks for posting this story, I enjoyed reading it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

visited since a youth also. Its amazing how many cows /sheep are in our surrounding towns, you don't notice this,till you hit the Fairs,and see them. Its great to see kids involved with different clubs,but seems alot less involvement over the years.

when I was in high school, I hired out as a "carney" with a small outfit doing kiddie rides and such. Worked there for two summers, hard work and real low pay! We used to arrive the night before if we could, and tear down right after the last call so we could move on to the next place. Did a lot of store parking lot setups. We only had four rides... well five if you count the train. We had a set of swinging chairs, a merry go round, a boat ride that went round and round and up and down, and a small six seat ferris wheel. The train was a gas powered unit that ran on aluminum rail sections and pulled a couple of open top cars. We only set it up if we were going to be there for more than two days as it took quite a bit of setup time.

It actually was the highlight of the year for us kids. We would float down the river from Puntledge Park and then climb the bank and get into the fair for free. I had forgotten all about that until your story. :)

calm seas

Mikie

is taking the grandkids to the petting zoo, and looking at the home made quilts. The Merry go round is about the only ride I ride, if that. For some reason, the older I have gotten, my fear of heights keeps me from even getting on a Ferris Wheel, much less a roller coaster. Then we also have a very large state fair in Little Rock. You are taking you life into your own hands if you go to that one though! Got some rough, tough people traisping about! :)

And I remember well how I looked forward to them all year! I used to save my money all summer and spend it all on some young lady at the fair! Sometimes it was worth it though.....:lol:

the last one I went to was sure a disappointment to me. It was just a carnival. The animals had taken a back stage to what they were when I was a kid, back in the 40's and 50's.

I did learn one of my most important lessons at a fair though. I also got screwed at by a Carney. It was a shooting game and he screwed me out of over 10 bucks, only because I was stupid. I learned a lesson and it has stuck. None of the games are honest and gambling is stupid. I do not gamble. I have not since 1957 and it was because of a Carney.

The best thing about a fair was the animals for me. I never had any entered but just liked to see them and sometimes touch them. Days gone by

It looked like you learned some good lifes lessons at the fair with your dad. He sounds like a fine man. You were lucky indeed

Boy, times have changed. It all sounds like a great way to grow up Bill. They still have an annual fair in a small town not far from here. I like the feeling and looks of the smiling faces one sees when visiting a fair. Just good, honest people enjoying life's simple pleasures. Doesn't get any better than that. :cheers: