Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old school detectors vs. new and why

newbiehunter

I am useing and learning about an old school detector, who likes the old vs. the new and why?

Ya know, man, I really like both old and new. The newer models can be pleasant to use because they can be lightweight and well balanced. Also, some of the various "bells and whistles" and neat little features can be fun to play with and in many cases help you to dig more goodies and less trash. However, experience has taught me that by diggin' alot of junk, you get alot more goodies. Just more time consuming. I'm not in any hurry, though.:biggrin:
The machines that I have been usin' the most often are all over ten years old. A couple of my favorites are over twenty years old and have gotten me some of my best finds.:garrett::detecting:
I've even got a couple of old BFO units that I enjoy playin' around with sometimes, but I wouldn't do any serious huntin' with 'em. The sounds that they make sure do scare the cats!:rofl:
I'm really enjoyin' my new AT Pro and I plan to do some fresh water wading over the Spring and Summer with it.
Old school can hold there own against the new and in the end it all boils down to the experience and skill of the user.:biggrin: Happy Hunting!:)

The cool thing about old-school detectors, pre-auto-tuning, is that it really trained your ear. Old school detectors had a steady tone which changed ever so slightly when detecting really deep or small objects. You would have to press a button or push a toggle switch to manually set the tone back to its proper volume/setting. I'm amazed since then how much I'm able to hear and distinguish very faint sounds whether in a store, or restaurant or out in nature that others can't hear. I attribute it back to listening for those very, very faint changes in tone-sound.

A practiced ear could determine object size and even shape by the changes in tone when pinpointing.

Ah, the good old days...

- Ron

my 1980 detector got me some good finds and last year i got it out and started using it and got some silver ring and a lot of clad and anuff to get me an ace 250
my old one i had to gound balence that got old but was not that bad the ace 250 you dont need to gb just swing and dig that the nice the about the new detecters