Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Photos.....

Ron J

My friend, Barry Young, whom i have mentioned in the past, that his Father, was a Coast Guard pilot, lent me some photo's to scan. These are from his fathers collection. They show a Coast Guard Search/Rescue Seaplane that had a mishap. This model is made to land in the sea or on land for life saving purpose's. We do not know what happened, except this pilot landed on dry ground with the wheels up! Most of these planes landed in water, then lowered the wheels,and motored up a ramp out of the sea. Its possible the Pilot overlooked the fact he was landing on dry earth,and forgot about the wheels. All the photo's are stamped with "Official Coast Guard Photo" on the backs, stating "Air Station Salem Mass. Oct. 29 1944 Boston Air Port , damage to Hull , after wheels- up landing" Its odd that Air Port was spelled specifically as two words, instead of Airport as spelled today. Boston Air Port i assume was the predecessor to Logan Airport. They also refer the damage to the "hull" like a boat, instead of a "fuselage". I just find this stuff very interesting, and priceless! Rj [attachment 75978 ScannedImage-31.jpg][attachment 75979 ScannedImage-27.jpg][attachment 75980 ScannedImage-28.jpg][attachment 75981 ScannedImage-26.jpg]

Do you have any more old airplane pictures? Thanks for posting these old photos. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

When i was a kid, in the fifties,and sixtys, it was quite common to see the C.G. Seaplanes flying and landing in a designated area in Salem Harbor. No lobster pots were allowed to be dropped in that area either. I remember my father telling me, the earlier planes of this type, did not have retractable wheels. When they landed in the harbor, a crew would motor out in a boat,and attach the wheels,or hand crank them down, so it could taxi up the ramp.Most of the Air/Sea Rescue Stations did not have runways to land on, didn;t need them! Here are a few more, i may have posted awhile back? All from Winter Island Air/Sea Rescue Station, where Barry's father, and my father were stationed in the mid to late forties.[attachment 75983 ScannedImage-71.jpg][attachment 75984 ScannedImage-76.jpg] In this photo you can see the wheels, which i believe may have been the type that had to be cranked down, once in the water. Rj [attachment 75985 ScannedImage-78.jpg]

Does the Coast Guard still use this type of airplane? I have never actually seen one of these in person, only in the news or movies. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Unfortunately they are not used anymore. Helicopters took their place for Search/Rescue. I read recently the last Plane of that type is or was on display at Otis Air Force Base on the Cape. I hope to make a jaunt out there soon to take photo's if it is still displayed at all, and if it is, can i get access. When i visited the Coast Guard Heritage Museum a couple of months ago, they had the pilots seat, and wheel off of one. I hope the plane is still there.[attachment 75988 Heritagemuseum026.jpg]

n/t

n/t

It helped to stabilize the aircraft when it was taking off or landing in the water. You can see one still attached on the port side. I guess the pilot tore it off when landing.

Now that would be an expensive mistake.

calm seas

Mikie