Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Man's Early Years-"Humanity Part 2"

Cupajo

While water hunting one fine afternoon not too far from a popular local beach front bar, I came across an object that gave a loud signal and yet kept moving away as I tried to scoop it up. After a couple of tries it occurred to me that I was dealing with a wallet and I nudged it gently into my scoop with the toe of my boot. Tipping the scoop way back I was able to retrieve the wallet with $60.00 and several keys plus Drivers license etc enclosed.

It felt good to make the call that overjoyed the young man who owned the wallet. He lived 60 miles away and on his next opportunity stopped by and picked it up. As a sign of appreciation he left one of the $20s for me. That was nice, but you can't buy the good feelings I had already experienced by letting the young man know I had found the wallet.

On another occasion only a few yards from there I was enjoying the fresh air and sunshine of yet another beautiful day on the Connecticut shore when I noticed two middle aged ladies, dressed in the traditional one piece swim suits of Old Country matrons, glancing this way and that in a rather suspicious way. They were huddled together and looking at something I couldn't see from my perspective. They made their way to the waters edge and walked across the beach to the entrance of the aforementioned bar all the while glancing this way and that as if they were afraid of being caught, at what I couldn't imagine.

Twenty minutes or so later a young man (early to mid-thirties) came up to me and asked if I had found a wallet? I saw he was very concerned and barely stifled a laugh at the now obvious answer to what the ladies were up to. I explained to him what I had seen and told him that they may have left the wallet in the bar with the manager, but based on the way they were acting and the fact that I had seen them exit the back door of the pub and walk away up the street I doubted it. He swore and indicating one of the expensive power boats anchored nearby, told me he had decided to swim in from his boat rather than wait for the bar's water taxi and the loss of the wallet and $6,000.00 it contained were the price of a hard lesson.

He later let me know the wallet was gone. When he swam back to the boat it was in an effort to cool off over his loss.

People watching is the most delightful by product of metal detecting and can teach you a lot about people if you are aware if the things going on around you.

GL&HH Friends,

Cupajo

(No-one gets 'em all, but I'm workin on it!!!)

Some people have little or no honour. However, returning the gentlemans wallet shows class. :thumbup:

Fair winds

Mikie

who the heck carries that much money?

I was in a boat shop and talking to a guy about something or the other, I forget what, when my diving and metal detecting came up.

A young guy was listening to us talk. he was in his late 20's I would guess and he came up to us and asked me if I would hunt for a Rolex for him.

I asked him where he had lost it and he said in Lake St Clare some where. LAKE ST CLARE SOMEWHERE? That is one hell of a huge search area. I asked him how he had lost it and he said he got drunk and went water skiing with it on. I told him he was a friggin idiot and deserved what he got.

I did not make a friend but he was a rich stupid guy and I felt someone should tell him

Thanks for the post :thumbup:

Hi Friends,

I'm glad you noticed the underlying story Royal.. Here was a well off "young?" guy out to impress people with his high-powered boat, his macho swim to the beach from the boat and a huge wad of cash in his wallet!!!! Instead life taught him a valuable lesson and possibly protected him from a mugging too!!!

People watching is great fun, especially when you are expecting life's little surprises!!!

GL&HH Friends,

Cupajo

(No-one gets 'em all, but I'm workin on it!!!)