Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Homestead Advice needed

Terry

Had a location of an old country school which turned out to be wrong, so we investigated the only possible location on the quarter section, which happened to be a 2 to 3 acre bush. Right in the middle of the bush unseen from any angle was this massive three story dilapidated old house. The house was in such bad condition that we would not even venture to go inside for a look. As it always seems to happen, both of our detectors were back in the truck so we decided to leave. Just then mother nature called, so Ray my partner said he'd go back to the truck and get the detectors and shovels as I was going to be a while anyway. When he came back we started to detect the small patches of untreed ground we could close to the house. Soon Ray got a good hit and pulled out an old lipstick cylinder and commented that there must have been young girls at this homestead. Seconds later and not more than ten feet away, I got a good hit. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the big penny, and even more so when I saw the old Queen knowing it may be in the 1800's.
We only had about 1/2 an hour left, but in that short time we hound 6 coins total dating from the 1940's back to the 1893 big penny. Of course we intend to go back next weekend but both of us have no experience hunting old homesteads especially those covered in bush. I don't know whether to use my mine-lab XS or the Teknetics t2, but I think the XS only because it Id's rusty bottle caps better.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Terry said:
Had a location of an old country school which turned out to be wrong, so we investigated the only possible location on the quarter section, which happened to be a 2 to 3 acre bush. Right in the middle of the bush unseen from any angle was this massive three story dilapidated old house. The house was in such bad condition that we would not even venture to go inside for a look. As it always seems to happen, both of our detectors were back in the truck so we decided to leave. Just then mother nature called, so Ray my partner said he'd go back to the truck and get the detectors and shovels as I was going to be a while anyway. When he came back we started to detect the small patches of untreed ground we could close to the house. Soon Ray got a good hit and pulled out an old lipstick cylinder and commented that there must have been young girls at this homestead. Seconds later and not more than ten feet away, I got a good hit. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the big penny, and even more so when I saw the old Queen knowing it may be in the 1800's.
We only had about 1/2 an hour left, but in that short time we hound 6 coins total dating from the 1940's back to the 1893 big penny. Of course we intend to go back next weekend but both of us have no experience hunting old homesteads especially those covered in bush. I don't know whether to use my mine-lab XS or the Teknetics t2, but I think the XS only because it Id's rusty bottle caps better.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

nice coin. I would bring them both. The T2 is very good with iron and it does reach deep for coins as you well know. I am a ML man myself but the T2 after I get my beach machine is probably next on the list. For $799 and what it can do it is the best value in MD today in my opinion. You'll bring just the XS and then later on you'll be thinking,"I wonder if the T2 could have seen something that the XS didn't?" Gotta run. I am going to try a baseball park as long as the clouds don't start to cry.

terry,very nice coin there.that's the first one of those i've ever seen.hope you find more ..lol:minelab::usaflag:

Check where you think the cloths line wouldhave been.
If there was an out house (toilet) check the path to thehouse from the Privy.
Also, most old places had a section of yard that all the events took place. Birthdays, Teas, family get togethers.
Use the Explorer and work it.

NH Bob said:
Check where you think the cloths line wouldhave been.
If there was an out house (toilet) check the path to thehouse from the Privy.
Also, most old places had a section of yard that all the events took place. Birthdays, Teas, family get togethers.
Use the Explorer and work it.

believe it or not, check the privy itself. Many valuables finds can be found in poop.