Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old finds in a sand volleyball court this afternoon (Not quite the beach)

wesbeach

The tides were on the way to high when I got off work this afternoon, so I decided to do some jewelry hunting in a local park. I looked in the playgound, but didn't find much, so I decided to try the sand volleyball court. This is a vollyeball court I had detected previously using my Whites MXT and had not found much. I was using my Sovereign Elite and looking for the low tones, but started hearing high tones and was trying to ignore them. I then saw a green penny sitting on the top of the sand. I picked up the penny and saw that it was a wheatie! A spot about 4' square had strong penny tones all over so I decided to try to see what else was there. After about half an hour of hunting and digging in the sand, I ended up finding 12 wheaties. The years are 1944, 1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1950, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1958 and one I cannot read. I continued searching the rest of the volleyball court and only found some recent change and no more wheaties.

I had done some research on this park previously and found it is located on an old home site. I had been trying to find old coins, but mainly found a lot of old junk.

I had been hitting this park hard with my MXT for months before I started beach hunting and had never found a single wheatie. Today, on my first day back into the park with the Sovereign Elite, I find a dozen wheaties. I may have been relying too much on the VDI indicator on the MXT and not digging the tones when they were outside the standard coin range.

Quite an interesting afternoon!

Wesbeach, Is it possible the ground crew added a dump truck load of sand or a few loads from a front-loader. Happened to me at a local old park where divets under swings were filled in from beach on one side of park.I found three mercs one morn where I had hunted many times before. Need to find where fill came from! HH