Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Coin ... Cleaning

KS_Mike

Okay ... I am somewhat bewildered (still) in finding an 1861 Nova Scotia 1 Cent coin where I live - south central KS (1 mile from OK) in a very small town. How it got there will remain a question for as long as I live. Anyhow ...

This is to my understanding a copper coin. It is not in perfect shape by any stretch of an imagination but still not bad shape. On ebay they are starting an auction off on one for $3.50 ... so far no takers and I doubt anyone will.

I would love to get it back to the original color ... rather than the "green" it is now. I've been told - "don't clean it". I can understand why but there has to be a way to clean this coin without losing value. I cannot see taking it to a coin dealer and them not cleaning it.

Someone told me to use hydrogen peroxide ... not how you spell it. Heat it up and let the coin sit in it, then rinse it and re do it till it is clean.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike

Hey EZ,

Do what every you want, but I cleaned a 1797 large cent, the only one they put stars on. Listed in coin book for almost $4,000 now it is worth nothing. I did the peroxide. If you do it you will be sick. Good Luck Flintstone