Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

old civil war cache

Sonny927

folks I live in southeast missouri and I am new to metal detecting,Talking to people trying to find places to detect i have come upon a story of confederate gold supposedly buried on the property of a friend.This story seems to have some truth about it and I am investigating further.The problem is its supposed to be about 20 feet down.Is there anyway to detect something that far down.

Maybe a ground penetrating radar system?? A regular MD won't cut it.

man that sounds deep for civil war cause they would have had to of dug that by hand

Why would they bury it at that depth.
Is there a structure in that spot or is it hilly in that part of the country ?
Good luck in your hunt like Roscue2 says ground penetrating radar likely would be the answer.
I would guess its likely not as deep so they could have accessed it easier..

Sonny927 were in SEMO you at? I live in SEMO also. Maybe we can get together for a hunt when it quits raining an snowing.
later
ric

I doubt that it is 20 feet down. That would have required one helluva lot of digging with hand shovels and would serve no purpose. People usually bury stuff that they can retrieve quickly and unnnoticed. It would take several guys many hours to dig that puppy up. When I was a young feller I worked in a big cemetary and digging graves was part of my job so I know about digging deep holes. There aren't any detectors that will reach that far. Ground penetrating radar is about the only thing that might cut it. Are there any landmarks associated with this cache so the guys that buried it could find it again?

Bill

Indeed there are caches buried at depths around twenty feet. Never under estimate the limit of human endeavors. Confederate military teams were rather adept at digging and tunneling. Gold/treasure caches had to be buried so deeply because Union troops and others would use long metal rods to probe the ground searching for buried caches, etc.

An affordable option for locating deeply buried treasure caches and such would be a two-box unit (Treasure Hound) from Garrett. Very easy to use, but doubtful it would reach down to twenty feet unless the object(treasure cache) was rather large/automobile sized.

The best method, albeit rather expensive, would be ground penetrating radar or large blanket type towable pulse induction units.
Here are a couple of useful links to these more expensive but effective units.

http://www.okmmetaldetectors.com/products/professional-detectors.php?lang=en

http://www. a c c u r a t e l o c a t o r s . c o m / pulse_induction.html

Best of luck to ya!:biggrin: Happy Hunting!:)

P.S.
If I were you and I found this gold cache, I wouldn't advertise it;)

I am in Morley Missouri,and this is supposed to be a chest with gold buried by a person that stole it,the man was supposedly hung but the gold was never found.This story has been passed down thru several generations with exact land marks.The owner of the property is doing some more investigation into the story and is going to get back to me.The ground that it is supposed to be buried in is very sandy and the holes dug there fill in very quickly.

That will be a tough one to find unless there were some permanent and stable landmarks, and recovering it in that kind of soil would be a bitch and would need a back hoe most likely.

Bill