Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old city park gives up the past

Terry

Out of my office window I've been witnessing a city park improvement and finally I went down and asked at the site what was happening. It turns out that the park is being improved to the tune of several millions of dollars. What they are doing is removing all the old fixtures, lighting, and everything including the ground. Yes I said ground. They dug it all up and took it away. I'm talking about 2 acres. They did however leave some ground around an old monument fountain built in the early 1900's, and only skimmed the surface. Saturday morning 5:30 a.m. I sneaked in (because the park is all fenced off) and detected this small area. BONANZA!!! Take a look at the picture. The T2 was in it's glory. I've never found three little nickels before in my life, let alone all the other high reading objects. I guess now I have to go down to the site and find out where they hauled the soil to and sift through that. Check out the unknown coin, I think it's chinese but I'm not sure.

I'd have to disagree with your admitted "sneaking in" strategy. Construction sites are roped off for a reason but a lot of times if you make the effort to talk to the construction foreman, you can get permission to hunt the area after the workers go home and the work is done for the day. If a city worker or administrator had seen you in the cordoned off area without permission and wanted to play hard ball, it could have wound up resulting in a ban on any detecting in your city's parks not to mention a court appearance for you. That would have impacted all detectorists by not allowing them to pursue their hobby and all because of your choice. Most detectorists are at least aware that it is the right thing to do to gain permission before hunting a site. I know a lot don't adhere to this ethic due to fear of rejection, or just being too greedy to care enough to follow this "rule". It's not for me to pass judgement on anyone but I do wish folks would think about the possible repercussions of their actions that potentially affects others, especially around this hobby that is getting more fragile every day. Nuff said.

That is a nice bunch of coins and buttons. Unfortunately, they are marred by the sneaking in part, IMHO. BuckeyeBrad said it well, so enough said on my part as well. HH jim tn

Actually the park is about 3 or 4 acres and in the center of the city surrounded with residential buildings thus the roped of area. In my quest for history I was approached by a few undesirable characters at 5:30 a.m. asking for money. They were also crossing the roped of area as were many others. Being in the center of the city and right downtown, the area is heavily patrolled by the police who paid me no mind at all. The fire Dept was there the first morning for about an hour responding to a fire call, as well as the police. Again, no one bothered me. I guess it's roped of for the working hours during the week when the downtown area is packed, But of course you are right, I should get permission from the site supervisor and I have been in touch with him for another issue. But anyways.....thanks for not judging.

It's so easy in our quest for recoveries to slip for a minute and TRESPASS..........

Terry these are the kind of scrapes we all dream of :detecting:

I'm sure if you ask the site admin for permission (and make sure to cover your holes) you'll have a great spot with many more treasures to uncover, and who knows maybe if your conversation goes well you just might find out where all that dirt was hauled to.

Yes I agree, and was hoping for the same thing when I asked him where they hauled the top soil. He told me that he wished he knew too, but didn't elaborate. Apparently they contracted the soil removal to a local company that sells gravel, top soil, and other aggregate as well as plant and growing supplies. I can only imagine that they put it through some kind of screening device and will be having their own treasure find soon. I'm still going to get in touch with them and follow it up though.