Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ol' Frank's greehouse..

Ol' Frank

I built this 9' x 12' greenhouse in the backyard last year -- it's an "Elite" from www.Farmtek.com. The most difficult part was building a 15"-high stone retaining wall on the north side of the yard and then filling the hole with almost 4 yards of dirt because the ground isn't level there. I planted the tomatoes on March 8th and they are almost ready to plant, except our average frost-free date here is May 15th. Next year I'll start them a week or two later, anong with plenty of other varietie and some flowers for the frontyard planters. I finally figured out how to make my own good potting soil after trying different combinations with this batch, which are "Cluster Grande" along with the "Totem" container tomatoes, all from www.superseeds.com, where I've had good results in the past.

Regards to all from Ol' Frank in Colorado

P.S. -- I DID go skiing this year with my son at Copper Mountain, but it was very icy and dangerous that day because it was late in the season: the snow had melted on top during the previous night and then froze. I fell three times that day! Didn't get banged up, though. What the heck -- some of us ol' 1920's geezers are still having fun!

it's high on Scott's priority list right now, though. Maybe I could do it! I might even get the brother's to help! :) What all do you grow? I am just getting tired of having to pay such high prices for seasonal things! I probably have invested enough in beginner plants to purchase three of these over the past 5 years! :)

I could have built a cheapo greenhouse for under $1000. but this one has heavier double-walled polycarbonate panels and two automatic top vent openers, a Dutch door, etc., but it was built from a kit -- I don't have either a truck to haul materials or the spare time to design my own. The base ground wasn't level, so I had to build a short rock wall and fill it with 3-1/2 yards of fill dirt shoveled over small rocks and gravel, then I put paving blocks inside (on a bed of sand) for drainage. The greenhouse is held down by 10 metal line posts mounted in concrete, so it won't blow away soon unless we have a tornado! I suppose that it took about $2300 to finally finish the project. Almost all of The available kits are are from Denmark, Germany or China -- I wonder if WE actually manufacture anything..??

However, this is the first season I've used it. It has four ABS plastic 55-gallon drums painted black and filled with water to retain daytime heat, so it's about 10 to 15 degrees warmer in there at night than the outside air temperature. Free solar energy!

This year I only started some tomatoes and a few strawberry plants, but next year I'll get an early start on the bedding plants and flowers for the frontyard whiskey barrels. My "Wal-Mart" potting soil is better than anything ready-made, and also much cheaper: I use 1 bag of mushroom compost, 1 bag of sand and 1/2 bag of composted manure, and the difference in the various potting soils I've tried is amazing!

Around here, on the east side of the Rockies, we shouldn't plant anything tender like tomatoes, peppers, etc., before May 15th.

But Hey! -- Go ahead and either buy or build a small greenhouse: If it gets below frewezing outside in the Spring either use the water-barrel scheme or heat it some way, although that's becoming very expensive due to the cost of fuel.

Hope this helps -- Ol' Frank in Wheat Ridge, CO

also have a rose garden and it would great to take cuttings and get more! I just like to grow things! This would be great. Let me know how it goes! :)

Hey Frank, besides building airplanes, greenhouses, skiing, hunting and maybe some metal detecting, just what do you do with all your spare time??? :rofl:

Dave