Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Okay, I am working on a couple of stories, but here is a quick one on how to get bent, while diving, even though you do everything right.

Micheal_R

Staff member
Again, most of my stories take place in the 60s and 70s. This one is no different. In the early 70s, the diving fraternity was not recognizable by the standards of today. We had no pressure guages [we used J valve tanks], we also had the old capillary depth guages, suits were wet,..... Mostly just a by the seat of your pants diving experience. The one thing that was hammered into you though, and what I hammered into my students when I taught, was the decompression tables. I required an ability to memorize just how long you could stay at a certain depth and not have to decompress. This is the point where, if you stay at a certain depth longer than the recommended no decompression time, nitrogen would build up in your bloodstream, and cause the 'bends' when you surfaced. And most of us have heard of the bends.

On this particular dive, I had been called by a cement company in Bamberton, B.C. Seems as though a cement truck had plunged off the wharf and gone into the water below, This Company was located on Saanich inlet, near Victoria, and they shipped a lot of cement out by barge and truck. So I get the call to see if I was able to attach a line to this truck so they could hoist it up.

I arrive at the site, ask the usual questions[ when did it sink, how deep, etc] and get suited up.I did tell the company supervisor that I was going to do an exploratory dive first, to check the water conditions, depth [really!!! it was around 100 feet, so I was told. That gave me 25 minutes..... lots of time to do my work]. I waddle down to the waters edge, adjust everything and head down. I mean, it was right off this wharf. Just follow the lead line down, right?

I approach the 100 foot mark, and there is no sign of it. I did forget to mention that this is almost a vertical wall, with the odd outcropping on it..... but it was pretty much a 90 degree angle. I hit the 100 foot mark, and there is no sign of it. The visibility is around 40 feep so if it were there I should have seen it. I dropped down further and still did not find it. At around 150 feet I saw a shape below me.

At 180 feet down, I found this truck, balanced rather precariously, on on of those outcroppings I described. It was so well balanced, that I could, with not much effort, rock it back and forth. I came to the surface, while making certain that I had not exceeeded my no-decompression time, and came to shore. The usual crown was there wanting to know what was up. I told them that there was NO way I was going to go down to salvage that truck.. It was do dangerous to mess around with it tryingto attach a line to it.If I had tried to attach a 1 inch cable to it, there was a good chance it would have slipped further down.... not to mention that a person would have to decompress before coming up. It was not as though I could not do that [I had done it quite a few times before]; I just did not enjoy it.

I collected my few wages [I did not salvage the truck after all.... so you cannot charge for a job half-done], and headed home. Now here is where it gets dicey. :)

When I figured my time on the bottom, I calculated it for sea level diving. And that was fine. I had no problems whatsoever. However, to get home, I had to go up and over the Malahat. This is a sectuon of road that goes up over a pass. It rise, oh maybe 1000 to 1200 feet. Well, at that elevation, all of my well-prepared calculations went out the window. As I was starting to rise, I could start to feel funny little 'things' happening to me. First, I got a bit itchy, mostly in my elbows, then my knees. Then, I started to cramp, just a bit. At about that time it dawned on just where I had screwed up. "Okay, you are only 100-150 feet from the summit, then it is all downhill" I could not decide whether to continue over the 'hat or drive back down and take the ferry across to the other side and go home that way. I eventually toughed it out and drove up and over. Pretty good amounts of pain but you have never seen me drive downhill so fast. Once I started my descent, things improved wonderfully.

Ah well, even us so called experts, can screw up. :lol:

Thanks you for coming alond

Sunny skies

M

know what was happening and lucky to have no crippling effects

how much longer should you have stayed at sea level before taking the road over the hill.are you saying that you should have stayed decompressing more.i've lived at roughly 400-600 feet above sea level all my life,went to colorado about 15 years ago with my oldest sister and bro-law who have property there.

on the drive up in northern new mexico the altitude was probably about 5000-6000 feet,at about this point i started feeling kind of lighted headed and goofy.after about 60 miles of driving it passed and once we got to colorado i never had anymore problems even though i hit a couple of passes at 12,000-13,000 feet,guess i was just adjusting physically at the lower altitudes.

Sometimes,I just do not think things through!! :) :)

sunny skies, clear water

M

glad you came out of that one OK. Weird, when we take something for granted and then it screws up. Good thing that pass wasn't any higher. Did they ever get the truck out?

Dave

I always enjoy reading the diving stories, makes me aware of just how exciting it can be without actually doing it myself. I never imagined that everything was tied to sea level. I have heard of the bends, but have never seen anyone that has suffered from it. Thanks for posting the story. Please have a great day! :)

Heading out on a Kayak fishing trip right now....but planning a dive trip in two weeks. I haven't dove that deep, probably never will, hit 130' in Cozumel once on the Santa Rosa wall. Keep the stories coming. Kieth-Tx

I am not a diver, but I really never thought of it like that.

Has that sister of mine cooked her famous "possum belly with hog jowl" for you guys yet? She'll only do it if she likes ya! :lol:

Lil Bro

It has probably, by now, tumbled off that ledge though. Sometimes even the best thought out of plans... :)

sunny skies

M

Diving is probably no more dangerous than any other sport. It is more unforgiving of errors, but if you keep your equipment maintained, and follow the rules, it actually is a pretty safe sport. I just screwed up on the rules that day.. :)

Take care

Sunny skies, clear water

M

I have been deeper than that........ a lot deeper....; However, that was an accident. But at this time in my life, what with the new trimix technology, it is nowhere near as dangerous now. I have a job coming up that will take me to 210 feet....... a salvage job. If I can get myself into a reasonable health, I will do it.

Take care

Calm seas, fair winds

M

I offered her a road kill skunk, but it seems as though her heart just was not in it. :rofl::rofl:

Calm seas, clear water

M

n/t

n/t