Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Okay I am officially addicted to jewlry

relic-hunter

Now the question is, can a detector that is designed to work in and under water work as well on dry land and dry beach sand as a detector that is designed to work on dry ground only. I just went to the garrett site and looked at the Sea Hunter Mark II. And is it true as I have read that people that go into and under water find more jewelry than those that just hunt on the dry beach sand and other dry places. I am an addict to MD'ing anyway, better than being a crack addict I guess.

Ken

I've used my water detectors scanning soccer fields and found good finds ie: clad ,rings jewelry and lots of junk.
The only thing is pinpointing is different and depth of target is harder to define.
If you use the PI detectors it compounds the difficulties but not impossible.
I use soccer fields because there not so much junk unless they brought junkie fill from another site..
This has help me refine my motion pinpointing for under water. (clear water no problem,but dirty water is trickier.)

Hey thanks. I think that I am going to buy a PI detector for the water and surf areas, Probably the Sea Hunter. I already own a GTAX 550 which is a great detector for dry beach sand and other areas, But I can't get even close to the surf area or in the water at all. I live in SW coastal FL and I KNOW that there is gold and silver jewelry out there calling my name. The area I live in is within 15 minutes of 3 or 4 sunbird/snowbird beaches that start to pick up in November. So I want to get in on some water action this winter.

Ken

Hey Ken
I used my Sea hunter mark 2 on land and water - and find it works just find -- Graw

relic-hunter said:
Hey thanks. I think that I am going to buy a PI detector for the water and surf areas, Probably the Sea Hunter. I already own a GTAX 550 which is a great detector for dry beach sand and other areas, But I can't get even close to the surf area or in the water at all. I live in SW coastal FL and I KNOW that there is gold and silver jewelry out there calling my name. The area I live in is within 15 minutes of 3 or 4 sunbird/snowbird beaches that start to pick up in November. So I want to get in on some water action this winter.

Ken

Man that looks to be a winter hot spot for you.
Here we'll have 3 feet of ice on the beaches .:thumbdown::sadwalk::cry:

The Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II will sound off on all objects in the water, unless you crank up the disc real high. All signals give the same tone, with the exception that some will sound rougher then others.

The Infinium will also sound off on all targets, but the audio is different. Copper, silver and some iron will give a low-high signal. Gold, aluminum and iron will sound off high-low. (check out the Findmall Garrett Infinium forum for more info). Both machines are PI's and have a learning curve to them.

What I tend to do, is hunt the shallow water with either my ACE 250/sniper coil or Scorpion stock coil. THEN...I hunt the deeper water with my Infinium. (I have previously owned a Sea Hunter mark II)

There is more junk in the shallow water, so I use some disc. In the deep water, I dig it all. I have been rewarded with some gold rings as deep as 12" + in depth. But, it is a lot of digging. But, in the end, you walk away with the best prizes :)

I use to go to Venice Beach in the winter all the way from Orlando.:rofl:

The pot holes has all the goodies in them. That is also where you will find the big sharks teeth on the hard bottom.:surprised:

All the way from Orlando for Venice Beach??? I think if I was coming from Orlando I would have tried Clearwater beach. But thats just my, probably wrong, guess.

Ken

Well the tourist always seem to have jewelry on and I am sure they loose some of it when they are playing around in the water, plus you have the locals. So I am thinking that the water in the beaches should be a target rich environment. And I don't see that many people with detectors in the water, I have seen a couple but not as many as on the dry beach sand.

Ken

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered a PI detector, not a Garrett, for working the water of the beaches. I am going to keep my GTAX 550 for dry area hunts, it's a good detector for those kinds of places. Heck I found to silver pieces in two weeks with it.

Ken

relic-hunter said:
All the way from Orlando for Venice Beach??? I think if I was coming from Orlando I would have tried Clearwater beach. But thats just my, probably wrong, guess.

Ken

We went to Venice to get away from the crowds.

Yeah I guess you are probably right about that! Venice is a pretty laid back kind of place. But the older snowbirds love it here!

Ken

Yeah the 550 is a great little machine. I field tested that puppy when it first came out way back. It was always hot on rings for me, how is it for you.

Bill

Not so hot for rings for me, but then that could be because of the areas I tend to detect. I do 95% of my hunting on dry beaches that get hit ALL the time. It is more common for me to see others with detectors than not to see anyone else with a detector, heck some days I have seen 3 or 4 guys or girls with detectors. But not many seem to venture into the water which is why I decided to buy a PI machine and hit the water.

Ken

I spent all last summer testing water detectors. I learned these things:

You can keep your PI's. Give me a multi freq machine for the water. That means a Fisher CZ, Whites BHID, or Minelab Excalibur.
Pi's have no real iron discrimination, despite the hype. There is the exception of the Garrett Infinium, but even that is a dicey thing and takes a lot of learning to get it right, by all reports. Not impossible, mind you - but a challenge beyond the casual.

Iron is one of the most abundant trash items in the water. Since you must dig everything beyond iron in order to ensur you get the smaller filigree jewelry, it behooves you to have some way to ID it. Otherwise you spend all your time digging rusted lumps, bottlecaps and the gazillion other iron 'whatses' that turn up....
Yes, PI's WILL find things and there are many who use them. But they are at their best in the cleaner deeper water of the diving world.
For shore wading, it's a multi-freq.

Uncle Willy said:
The Infinium has 96 frequencies.

Bill
I forgot about the Infinium after the "edit" time limit ran out! It does have multiple freqs, but it seems to be a unique, even quirky instrument, as I understand it. For those not inclined to relearn a new and unique modus operandi, the other units seem to be the way to go. After asking alot of "former" PI users, most cited the ability to readily DISC iron as their main reason for switching to the VLF multi's.