Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ok, Whites 6.59khz coil questions.

mattw

I just picked up a Classic IDX Pro for dad. I have a proscan 800, royal scan 800 and deepscan 600. In trash I assume that the 600 is the coil to use, but is there any functional or performance differences in the 2 800's? This machine is Mr. Bill modded. I seem to have trouble getting much change in the threshold with the ground balance knob. I think I am close, not much change in the tone when I pump the unit.

Thanks Matt

Hi Matt

The two 8" coils offer the same performance, only difference is color and the thicker coil wire on the royal, I have both, and will hang on to them for other detectors or as backup. I like to set ground balance to a point where the threshold huuuuuum gets slightly louder as coil approaches the ground. The Classics need to be ground balanced a little bit positive this way to get proper ID on coins.

The 6" coil is my main use coil, good in trash and just a great all-around coil. It makes for a really light and well balanced detector. Hope this helps.

Randy

Hey Randy, thanks for the input. I really like the feel of the Royal, tad bit heavier and balances better. I am trying to learn the Classic IDX Pro, it is really dad's unit. He wanted me to find a good simple fairly deep unit for him, he is afraid of my DFX. Hell, some days I could get that way... I can confuse it so bad that I must just start over. But, when it is on it is really on. I have a slight positive balance on the Classic, I just expected more response out of the pot than I seem to get. It does not seem to radically change anything, I am wondering if it sat enough that it needs a shot of good contact cleaner.

Matt

Honestly there is nothing wrong with your unit, and spraying liquid contact spray into an adjusting pot could do more harm than good!

Here is how to do a G/B (ground balance) on the modified IDX:

Go through the start up procedure per the manual::::: Find a clean piece of ground with no metal in the ground or around you.

Lock the trigger forward putting it in all-metal mode, useing headphones set the threshold to an audible tone hhhmmmm, start with coil about 8" above ground and lower coil to within 1" of touching ground....... as coil approaches ground if hum gets louder.... turn G/B knob counter-clockwise. If hum goes silent when coil is approaching ground...... turn G/B knob clockwise. When your are finished G/B procedure, threshold hum should raise slightly when coil is approaching the ground..........then you are done G/B'ing. Set the triger to middle position to disc mode and start swinging. Also the G/B is a set it and forget it deal and you should not have to mess with it much unless you change coils or encounter severely mineralised soil.

Randy

Why? Because if you spend very much time using it afield you're quite possibly going to try and get him to take your DFX, instead! :rofl:

Randy gave you spot-on information. Ground balance so that it is just SLIGHTLY positive in the All Metal mode. Have a 'proper' slight-audio Threshold hum. Also, the part about not having to tinker with the GB a lot is also one of the beauties of the modified Classic's. You are sort of 'pre-setting' the GB for the coil in use and the ground typically found where you hunt. Seldom will you need to change it unless you swap coils or locate in an extremely mineralized site.

And, as he mentioned, both those 8" coils perform similarly, and my personal preference is to mount the 6