Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ok - stupid question

cubfan64

Do you need to ground balance the Sovereign GT if you are hunting in Disc ON mode? I've heard conflicting reports, but I thought I understood that you only have to ground balance if you are hunting in All Metal.

Just want to clarify once and for all.

Thanks

It does not make any difference which mode you hunt in, the GT should always be ground balanced first before detecting. GH, Don

No I don't feel you have to do any ground balance if you are hunting in disc, this is for all metal only the way I understand it. When in disc you are in the actual BBS mode which compares the ground to any metal targets, in all metal it does not and like any VLF detector you have to ground balance it to get max depth. I know a few people do this for some reason but cant see why they do, but that is what they want so let them do it. In the owners manual I believe it says to do this if hunting in all metal, but for disc it is basically turn on a go.

Rick

What Minelab is saying is when in Disc. mode you can not manually ground balance the GT because the ( track fix ) feature is disabled which only works in All Metal mode , but if you turn on the GT already set in Disc.mode it auto ground balances the GT to condensate for any soil condition . which means what ever ground balance you did manually in all metal mode would be lost if you decided to switch over to disc.mode which auto ground balances the machine . Jim

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/9343/Sovereign%20GT%20-%20Product%20Report.pdf

I ,agree with Rick there is no ground balance on the disc mode for the GT,power on and search.HH Ron

Thanks folks - from reading the manual and my limited time running the Sovereign GT, I was under the impression I did NOT have to ground balance the detector if hunting in disc. mode. In fact as some of you mentioned, ground balancing in all metal and then switching over to disc. is useless since the ground balance function is only used in all metal.

As I said though, I only have limited time on my Sovereign and when I hear some people say in no uncertain terms you absolutely HAVE to ground balance it no matter what, I started questioning myself. I suppose there's absolutely no harm in doing it, but I honestly don't think it does anything.

Thanks again - if anyone else has input I would like to hear it as well.

This is what Minelab says about ground balancing the Sov GT i knew that in disc mode you can not ground balance manually unless iam reading it wrong in disc. mode the GT automatically ground balances continuously ? as Ron said just turn on and hunt . Jim

Ground Balance Switch (Track/Fix/Pinpoint)
The most important addition and perhaps the really big difference between it and the previous Sovereign's is the inclusion of a Ground Balance switch - Track/Fix/Pinpoint. When to use the various settings is explained here but this brief explanation should be taken as a general rule and could be subject to altering and working in different settings as conditions change in the field.

Ground balance needs to be set ONLY in for use in All Metal mode. You set it to track and then either slowly pump coil in a clean spot until threshold stays the same or very slightly increased (best depth this way) AS you approach the ground. Don't be fooled if it auto tunes and sounds fine after a few seconds. You want to notice if it increases or changes too much as you approach and leave the ground and such. Or, you can just sweep around in a clean area for a few minutes in track to set it, then switch to fixed for best depth as tracking on any machine can track out deep targets as you sweep over them. Discrimination needs no ground balance and is NOT auto ground tracking like on other machines. Minelabs use a very unique way to ignore the ground signal and that's why they get so deep and ID good at depth too. Pinpoint mode is an all metal mode but you do not need to set the ground balance for that either. It's a form of all metal mode that doesn't feature a ground balance setting.