Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ok so the winter blahs are settling in already. So tell us

Mike from MI "Iron Brigade"

Staff member
something interesting that happened when you were out detecting. I'll go first.
Six of us were in VA looking for Civil War relics. We had secured permission on a piece of land and started detecting. :twodetecting:
Everyone had spread out and went back into the woods. I stayed near an old building and dug 2 wheat cents. Next thing I know the guys are coming my way with their machines on their shoulders. I said where ya going? They said we have to get out of here, we found a body in a shallow grave! :surprised: I said wait now I want to see it! So we go back there and sure enough there is a shallow grave about 6 feet long and maybe 3 feet wide. My one friend had detected over it and got a tone. He had found one of them aluminum pans that you serve food in in the hole. He dug down a bit and there was something wrapped in a tarp and then it hit him! He was scared. I said let's see what is in the tarp. They were worried about what might happen with the police and us out of state guys. I told them we don't know what is in there. Let's see what it is and then if it's a human body we have a duty to call the police. No one wanted to touch a thing. I said I'll do it. "No that's tampering with evidence". I said not if you don't know what your digging up. So I start uncovering the tarp and then opening the tarp. Sure enough lots of bones. :blink: Now the guys are really scared! I told them just wait a minute. I seen one bone that I recognized, but kept looking for something as proof to the others. One of the guys said oh man look at all them rib bones! AHH HAA!!! There ya go guys notice how big this jaw bone is. What we have here is the remains of a pig roast, that explains the aluminum pan too. The bone I had recognized was the rear leg ham bone. You see I do several pig roasts every summer for people. They breathed a sigh of relief, had a good laugh, and then took pics with us all holding some bones. :lmfao:
We finished by detecting till dark. AHH the good old days! :thumbup:

Y'll must have felt a wee bit weird at first thinking it was human remains buried there in the woods. Oddly enough I really don't have any particular or memorable hunts to recall, as each time spent in God's out-of-doors was special & a blessing. Maybe that's how it is when you're hunting alone? Or maybe my 'Special Time' is yet to come?

The most interesting time detecting, besides being with the group on Civil War hunts and monthly hunts, was when my son and I were detecting in Forest Park here in St. Louis, MO.....I had to go around a tree in one area, because of the birds having babies in a nest and were bombarding and chasing off people when coming too near the tree, so I made a wide circle and started hunting in another area close by when a man approached and was asking about what I had found detecting and etc. I said the usual thing....like the hobby but haven't found anything tremendous to talk about like diamond rings, lots of gold and silver and so forth and then he left! Well, right after, I heard this beautiful beeping sound and out popped a 3/4 inch wide lady's gold wedding band! When my son returned and we departed to another area of the park, he looked at it and said it's 14K....Hooray, Hooray! I looked for the man to tell him about it and that he brought me good luck but he was no where to be seen, so where did he go so quickly?? :unsure: :biggrin:

Then when arriving at an area, where lots of people gather, there was a man who looked like an old prospector, who was divining for gold...I talked to him and he showed me how he would put in a piece of metal of what he was looking for and then it would let him know whether or not any precious metal was in the vicinity! Not sure, I believe that someone can really do this, for if they can, then God is the One working through them which is by the Holy Spirit's leading and guiding!, Anyway, it was a different and unusual day of detecting for me and was happy to have my son, David, with me, as I didn't really liked being alone in any place but was most of the time! Wish I could still go detecting! !!

There were two other times that were special and that was when I found silver dimes and quarters in a child's squeeze purse which another man had lost while :detecting: , I found out later and then, during a Civil War Hunt, I was up on the mountain and right away found an 1863 Seated Liberty quarter and it was the only coin found but other finds were Cannon Balls and Civil War relics like miniballs, bullets and other items!

God is good but I am addicted to :detecting: and this Computer....very difficult for me to keep from reading the posts and posting myself! :wiggle: :angel: Ma

My friend & I decided to detect this empty housing area - about 8 houses were sitting waiting for demolition. The whole place was very eerie, water pipes in the air & one broken and shooting water about 6 ft in the air, junk laying around, etc. We were digging some coins and after a while we saw a window open so decided to look in while detecting there.

To our great surprise we saw on the floor an alter built up that looked like a satan place. There was a mannequin sitting with broken mirror pieces for ears, the body had been cut and blood like stuff oozed from places, including the eyes. There was clothing, candles and odds & ends piled around the setup. There was such a definite feeling of devil worshipping that I got a long handled rake from my truck and stuck it through the window knocking the arrangement down and destroying it.

We sure felt scared and left right away . About 2 weeks later they bulldozed the places.

Steve in so la

I was detecting one summer at a public beach up north in Michigan, there were two beaches on this lake.........Two little girls came up to me and told me their daddy needed me over on the other beach....When I got there, this guy was standing in waist-deep water, obviously plastered:buds:, and he told me he lost his wedding ring in the water where he was standing, and his wife was in the vicinity loudly complaining"I TOLD HIM NOT TO WEAR THAT RING IN THE WATER,BUT HE NEVER LISTENS TO ME,HE IS BRAINLESS,HE IS WORTHLESS,USELESS,":veryangry::rant::ranting:....AND ON AND ON,AD INFINUTIM,AD MUCHO FUNNY-O:rofl::crazy::lol:,then his or her mother waded out and joined in the verbal flaying of this man, while he retained a constant smile on his face(due to alcohol influence no doubt, probably urged on by the Mrs. telling the whole world everything he says or does is wrong)........ANYWAY,I found his ring, and what a ring it was: The BIGGEST platinum wedding band I have ever seen:surprised::yikes:........He was thankful I found it, and then his bullhorn wife snatched it out of his hands, loudly resuming her tirade performed a little while before, and her husband just smiling and shrugging his shoulders........I walked away, and said a prayer to the Lord for him, and a prayer of thanks for ME, don't have to ask why, either.......:rofl::shrug:

I was detecting in a forest preserve in ILL one afternoon. I got a good signal and was down on one knee digging and right in front of the spot where I was digging and about a foot away from my hole was a shiney black boot and a uniform type pants kind od a blue gray color with a black stipe about 1 1/2 inches away. My first thought was what is a cop doing in the forest preserve. I looked up to see who it was and no one was there and it was gone when I looked back down at the hole. The next Saturday I mentioned what had happened to the guys at the detector shop. Big Bob was there and said he had the same thing happen to him but the let was off to the side of him instead of the front. I will never forget that one. :yikes: