Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ok so I need some more help

Lori

Ok, I have realized that I am probably the worst minelab owner detector and I accept it. But what I don't want to accept is having to carry so much stuff. This is me....

Metal detector
Lil Eagle Shovel
Vibraprobe
Towel

and man let me tell you it is a pain to carry all that stuff. Anyone have a suggestion to make my travels easier? I have tried putting the vibraprobe in my pocket but it keeps falling out. The towel on my shoulder but it keeps falling off. It is a sight let me tell you :)

Thanks!!!!!!

Lori

Hey hey, sure tuck the towel in your back pocket and put that probe in a holster on a belt. Hope this helps.

Jay

I don't wear a belt let alone one with a holster. But if I wanted to start wearing one what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Visit your local hardware store and find a canvas tool pouch like the ones you see builders or carpenters wear.(I use a 2 pocket, (one in front of the other), one for my finds and one for my digger and junk, I hang my towel thru the hammer loop). Hope this helps

The viabrapro should have came with a holster. What i have is a garden trowel, butcher knife, cloth nail pouch with a couple of leather tool holsters. I also have an EARTH magnet that attaches to the top of the knife blade. With the knife in one of the tool holsters the trowel just naps to the magnet. Comes on and off easily. I used to carry the prob like you but lost a couple so i got the X1 now... but the prob should just fit in the pouch or slide the holster on the string of the pouch. The knife will cut the flap EASY, clean and deep so you can get down there with the trowel. This is about as simple as you get and im even using the trowel on the beach here. Why a shovel? I can cut a hole 8" deep with the knife like butter and at best most of my finds are just a couple inchs deeper which i find with the prob easily. Start watchin that depth meter and you will notice deeper stuff doesnt sound the same as that shallow burst you get from surface targets. Expect a good year of learning.... Ferr sounds might be the best way to start since you will get a more distinct grunt from iron. Bottle caps will sound off high like a coin but you can tell them, they fall at the lower right of the smartscreen. For real, most of the stuff you will be looking for falls in the right quarter of the smart screen. This hobby is about being out and enjoying some you time as much as it is about anything... there is no loto to be won, just enjoy. Have you checked into clubs in your area? Several of the forums have them listed.

Dew

a pair of levi's
metal detector on shoulder or in hand.
towel in left back pocket, probe in right back pocket. Digger in other hand. Finds front pockets or a plastic bag(for trash) finds in front pockets :)
or do what Dave-Wi says a tool belt from hardware store.

Hi again Lori,

If your digging in a dirt lot, a construction site or torn up area forget the probe and the towel. Just machine digger and you. Dig a big hole then just be sure to check the holes twice then refill them.
if your digging in nice manicured area, then dont use a towel take a head band ( dew rag) that is lighter and easyer to tuck in. The probe is wise for small holes and less digging in nice lawns but I hate to haul one around as well, I found a strap that lets me attatch it to my lower leg and keep the end tucked into my shoe by the ankle. I hate to carry it but so sometimes. less stuff for me makes for more fun and adventure.

Have fun,
utahshovelhead

Just teasing you a little.One lady in our club carries her stuff in a small strapped cloth bag. "Over her shoulder". Sits it down when she gets a signal. Takes out what she needs to isolate the target. Works well for her. Says it's easier for her than Belts and holsters..and it's like having a big purse. ?????????????????????

Dump the towel. You don't need it.

Dump the vibraprobe. You don't need it.

Get a sunray probe that attaches to your machine and a swingy thingy for the weight.

Problem solved.

n/t

Oh, I have a sunray probe. But it doesn't really help me much. It tells me about where the object is but the vibration tells me when I am right on it. So I use both. :)

Lori... cant you use pinpoint with your X1? it should SCREAM at you when you are on it. Id say its all about how many holes i can dig that increases my finds. But i also know the machine is heavy and in a way it really helps taking a few more minutes when digging just to put that thing down. When im not digging after a few hours it gets really heavy to swing. Dont be afraid to let your coil scrach the surface you will gain depth and personally it think it hits targets better. I have the vibrapro, but it gives me feedback and i have to move my detector too far away so i dont use it.

Dew

Yes, I use the X-1 but I also use the probe. I guess I do it for added help. You know me, I need all the help I can get!!! My swingy thingy should be here today!! Oh I love putting the machine down so I do dig alot but that is why I find alot of trash :)

I use a belt and have a aluminum caribiner (carabeener) clipped into the belt. I runt the towel through the caribiner and the relative tightness of the cloth jammed into the open space holds it there. When it's too nasty to use anymore, I just pull it out and put in a clean one. It hangs right in front of my left thigh and is easy to see and easy to get at. When I tried the pocket trick I sometimes lost the towel and it felt uncomfortable like a large wallet in tight jeans. Around here it's often wet and muddy and I don't want to handle the detector and operate the controls with all the mud on my hands. I wipe them on the grass first and then dry/wipe them with the towel.
Me thinks the belt at the hardware store is a great idea and it works good. I also use the Swingy Thingy. The detector should hang from it so all you need to do is guide the detector. Minute adjustments to the slider to change the length as little as a half-inch makes a big difference. It'll need changing when you start working up hill or when you start downhill. If you find yourself straining a little guiding the detector, it's time to make that quick tiny adjustment. Don't hook the ST to your tool belt. You'll eventually make the belt ride up where it attaches and will lose your effectiveness. Hook the ST to the top of your pants just above your left pocket. That way the ST will stay tight or you'll experience a major wedgie.