Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ok let's hear about your favorite coin find with you detector!!!! :detecting:

Mike from MI "Iron Brigade"

Staff member
n/t

I dug this 1838 silver US dime at an old Civil War site. It had a hole in it for a necklace or such. If you take the date and go to the CW years it is around 23 - 25 years. I think this might be the age/birth year of a loved one back home. The site I was at had only cows & horses forever on it, no humans to speak of.

Today I wear it on my key ring kinda in remembrance of someone who lost it and I hope didn't lose his life as well.

steve in so la
1838dime.jpg

..At my ex in- laws house in Plymouth,Michigan,when my ex wife and I were first together.It was 8 inches deep as I recall,I had a Garrett CX3 at the time....It was an Indian Head penny,first year issue,either 1856 or 59, whichever year it was first issued......That coin would have been in the $600.00+ range back then!except for one gruesome detail:IT HAD A HOLE IN IT,WHEN I DUG IT,making it worth not much:sadwalk:,so being there was already a hole in it,I put it on my keychain.........:shrug:

That's a tough one, there's quite a few. Maybe the most excited I got was my first old coin which was a 1841 3 Kopeck...huge, thick copper coin, excellent condition. Found it in Pa.

After having contracted (cancer) leukemia, I wasn't sure if I'd ever metal detect again. After many years & a tremendous amount of physical, emotional, & spiritual effort, God gave me the opportunity to once again enjoy our beloved hobby. So to ask me which coin was my favorite find ... I would have to answer ... All of them! Just to be given the ability to get out again is such a blessing that everything I find is a keeper (except the junk of course). Thank You Lord for the opportunity to get out this year and enjoy Your beautiful out-of-doors.

I guess mine would be the 1863 Seated Liberty Quarter I found at an old Civil War site where we had a club group hunt....I found the only coin that day but lots of Civil War stuff was found also! Beautiful dime Steve in Louisiana and too bad it had a hole in it! I've found silver coins and copper ones with holes in them....SAD!! :angel: Ma

I have two. I guess If I had to pick just one though , It would be the medal with two coins from Normady I found in my wife's Grandma yard. It turned out to be her Grandad's he had passed away a few years before. He had fought in the war over there.. My father in law really like it so we made a display case and put a picture of him in uniform with the medal and surprised her dad.
My second favorite was a 1877 quarter I found. I had just got my xterra 70 and my buddy had just got his xlt. We were both still learning them. He took one side of the house and I took the other side. I had just about hunted my side and my buddy walks up and we showed each other our finds so far. Then we swapped sides. I had barely walked around to his side when I got a nice quarter sound. I dug down and out pops a 1877 seated quarter. I let out a really loud holler or yee haw. And he came over and said what did you find. I showed him and he couldn't believe it. That being said I was using a 6 inch coil and he was using a stock coil. I was able to get in between the trash.

a beautiful 1876 CC seated liberty Quarter found in an old park in Indiana. To date it is my only Carson City coin.

Not to copy my brother Travis (but I'm gonna :)) I have two best coin finds as well that are tied. I bought my first detector when I was 12, a Tesoro Silver Sabre. We lived in a 1940's house in Manchester NH and I POUNDED our yard and found tons of silver coins. (We lived on a street corner.) Actually, that's how I came up with my sign in name because my step dad called me the "Silverman". On a really crisp fall day in 84' I was detecting our hill that overlooked the entire neighborhood. I got a deep and weak signal but figured, "why not, I'll dig it." Out popped a beautiful 1854 Large Cent! I still have it to this day.

Second find I was Blessed to be with Al. I got permission to hunt an apple orchard in Londonderry NH that has the original General Reid Farm house built before the Revolutionary War. (I think I've told this story already so sorry if you've heard it.) At the end of the orchard there's an outcropping of flat granite rocks. I got a nickel signal on my XS and decided to dig it. Under all the lichen moss was a disk. I couldn't make anything out on it so I popped it my pocket. I brought it to a friend of mine that had a coin dealership and he said, "Greg, it's old, it's foreign and it's barely legible." So in my ? mark finds it went for over 10 years. Then in 2011 I was going through my old finds and saw the coin. Now with the internet what it is today, I was able to finally track down what it was, a 1650's French Liard! To this day I always wonder how that coin got there. Londonderry didn't get settled until the 1720's and there are so many possibilities and this is one that I'd like to think possibly happened...

The Keepsake

God Bless everyone.

Greg