Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ohio - Hunting Lime stone drives / Clay Pipe / Scrap area ?

JerryL944

Ok Guys I need to pick ALL your brains on this one .

I live in Mid south East Ohio , Out in the country . Might have been some civil war activity around here ?? and mostly farming / strip mining / Lumbering .

My soil in any area is Heavy thick clay and sandy stony clay .

A LOT of the area I hunt is just littered with the broken / scrap Glazed sewer pipe and whatever they fired the kilns with going back to 1800's

They just dumped that carp everywhere also the logging trails and many places that I have tried hunting are grass cover over top of 1 - 2 ft maybe 4 ft of crushed lime stone .

I am using a Tesoro Eldorado Newer version Umax ?? It's the one that takes 9(V Batt )

Anyway I have calibrated this thing the right way / the wrong way and every way in between ......... I beeps and sounding all over the place Mostly when over the lime stone but also when going over the areas where they dumped the broken tiles / pipe junk up ... You don't know this crap is under there until you start digging .

Does anyone know if Lime stone and that clay tile glazed and unglazed will give you FALSE READINGS ??

I have read the book and have turned every dial even if it don't make sense to see what it would do .

Soo I am open for suggestions The machine was checked out by Tesoro as Ok .

Jerry Leskovec jleskovec@sbcglobal.net

jerry, i would avoid that immediate area - it would take a year of sundays to get through that mess. it sounds like your're hitting a pile of hotrocks, hot ground, or highly mineralized ground. some clays are hot too. my machines don't like limestone, coal, or gravel either. hh!

Jerry, the only thing that may help would be to find a good sized piece of that pipe tile and try to ground balance the detector to it. A trick the old timers taught me years ago in hunting around old house sites loaded with brick, was to find a metal free area, place 2 brick from the site on the ground and balance the detector to the brick. The detector would then not see the brick as an out of place hot rock and you could find the coins and relics mixed in and under these buried brick. It may also help to reduce sensitivity in those areas.

Thanks all who made the excellent post abt my problem and area ........ I never would have thought of doing that .........This whole region down here is littered for all over the county with brick discards / clay tile / etc There is name they have for that crop. It is even dangerous to be digging and reach down or into a hole some times as that stuff is razor sharp.

I just didn't know if there was some kind of metal ( lead / or if they used mercury or some other metallic stuff in the curring / washing / glazing etc .
As for the Lime stone I was told that it depends on the region of the country is comes from and that it could contain small amounts of ?? metal and also that as they crush and as it is screened -sized parts of the machine get embedded into it .

Soo thanks to all for the tips I'll try a couple of the huge 4 ft Diam pcs that I know are laying across the road to balance out .
What is strange is that I went up to some of these pcs and nothing happens and then I'll be searching and I get a reading and no matter how / what I do it's a hot reading I did read over what I have dug up and also re read the hole / dig site and there have been times that after doing the digging THERE IS NO READING in my excavated pile none in the dig hole ???????

But Again thanks to all and I'll try the suggestions . Jerry Leskovec

Many tile glazes have mineral additives in varying amounts to enhance hardness and or color. Just to name a few; zinc, copper, mercury, even gold. So its possible that's one of the problems your experiencing.