Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oh My Gosh

Lori

I went out today with the EXP II and found a game token and 2 memorial pennies. I am really surprised I found those :). I also found a couple soda cans and pull tabs. I have started just digging signals that are steady that don't bounce around so I maybe missing something. I really wish I had someone around here that knew the detector really well and could give me a few lessons. :(

Anyway, my ARM is killing me. It hurts so bad!!!!!!!!!!! I am thinking I need a lighter detector. This this is a heavy sucker. My arm gets fatigued after 5 swings. HELP!!!!

Lori

Join a club, it helps to get with people that hunt. Andy's book on the Explorer is a must too, it has a lot of programs in it.

Andys book is a must, also get yourself a Swingy Thingy they are a great help with the detector weight problem. Happy Hunting.

Try shorting your lower rod, you may have it out to far. Are you using the standard coil? If so try reversing it that may change the balance for you as well. Cans are pretty easy to figure out. If you get a tone that sounds loud its likely close to the surface... just raise your coil until it disappears. If its like a foot or so... its a can. You can also size the target. By using the tip of the coil and going around it. Those are the simple tricks. Once you learn the machine there are several of ways to ID a target. These are heavy machines, i know when im on the beach and there arent any targets, man after 4 or 5 hours its tuff. The swingy thingy from DOC's detectors is really a very effective way to go. Digging most repeatable targets is a great way to go starting out. Learn where they fall on the SMARTSCREEN, its easier to watch that all those numbers bouncing around. You can then do more listening that looking at the screen. It also gives you breaks from swinging and rests your arm. Learn to kind of push this machine instead of swinging wildly, keeping it close to the ground and slow. There is no substitute for hunting with someone that uses your type of machine starting out. Mine Lab doesnt think about the ladies when they design their machines or they would hip mount the boxes like on the SOV. There are a lot of women getting into the hobby now. Hope this help a bit.

Dew

I have Andy's book :) But I am more of a doer than a reader. I need to be spoonfed LOL. I know that sounds crazy but it is true. I have the 10 X 12 SEF coil on the machine right now. I have Bryce's program programed in and another one from a website. I found my half dime on that program. But I hear people say no place is ever hunted out, but for me they are. That is why I wish I had someone with and EXP II near me. Heck I wish I had a fellow detectorist near me. LOL

The swingy thingy sounds good but I like to put down the detector when I dig won't the ST make it difficult to do that? My arm is still hurting today!!!!!!!!!!!! But it is going to be 60 out there and I feel I must go detect!!!!

Lori

When I first got my XS my arm would get killer sore. What I discovered was that I was gripping the handle tightly which kept the muscle in my right arm tense. So I taught myself to relax my grip and hold the handle loosely and this reduced the tension in my fore arm. Also I keep the lower coil shaft short enough so that my arm is almost straight while swinging. I'm only getting about a 3ft swing but no more sore arm. If you do shorten up the shaft make sure you're not wearing shoes with metal because you will be swinging close to your toes and the coil will pick up the signal. Another thing I have done is take a Motrin or an ibuprofen before going out to help keep that muscle relaxed.
I live in south central Michigan and would be happy to help you if you are nearby. If not and you find someone close where you are then go to radio shack and pick up a headphone jack splitter and walk with that person and let them tell you exactly what you are hearing. I used this method to teach my son, when he was 10, how to use the machine and it took all of a half hour.:thumbup:
Hope this helps.

Lori
I do n't know where you're at, but I've been snowbirding and am now in central Nv,
and heading for north central Wy. If you're along the way I'd stop and compare
notes with you. I have both the Exp ll and the Sov. with me. If you're interested
PM me.
Ken

Ooops! I guess telling people where I am would be helpful. I am in WVa near the Ohio river in a county called Mason. So thank you so much MonDak and Patrick for willing to help me out but alas we are far away from each other!!!!!! LOL

Sigh maybe someday my metal detecting prince or princess will come!!

Hello Lori

I've had surgery twice on my back and a complete cervical laminectomy ( Neck ). I'm 65. The Swingy-Thingy is a real back saver. I swing an SE with the X-1 probe, I can last for 3 or 4 hours. When I kneel down to dig I just let the SE swing on the bungie no problem, I think it may be what you are looking for !!!

HH, Regards, Dan

Otherwise you will end up looking like a lopsided Popeye and walk in circles.

Seriously, there are good suggestions here. And keep at it. If you look back at the ancient history of this forum you will see many people that were frustrated. Some gave up; other finally had the light bulb come on and have then made many good finds.

A smaller coil helps hugely and remember there is much more to be found in the trash than down deep.

Chris

Hi Lori, I swing that Ex2 w/sef, and probe, that is one heavy machine. I put in a couple hundred hours with mine last season, and I think I have developed a shoulder issue over the winter. I too would suggest the swingy thingy. Remember to swing that machine slow, slow, slow. In trashsy areas, with the big coil it's possible to locate small items. I refused to give up on a hard-hit trashy park, pulled a couple silver dimes out. I use smartscreen exlusively.

amc

I think he's got a banner above here somewhere. It's a heck of a great product...

Guvner..

Ok, I just bought a swingy thingy! I surely hope it helps!! Thanks guys! Still no prince or princess though huh?

Hi Lori, I'm a newbee to the group so I hope I don't step on Your toes. If the pain You have is in Your shoulder, please,please see Your doctor. Could be a Rotator cuff. I have the same problem! I've been using an Explorer for several years now and love it, although it took me a long time to learn it's language. Thinking of trying a 6x8" SEF coil on mine. I've heard some good things about it. :)