Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oh boy Local rest stop=capped bust !!!!

Mark kus

Well today turned out to be an unbelievable day! I went to my mother-in-law’s for Labor Day picnic and I hit an old school for the deaf up not much there a few wheats and some clad.
So I was driving on my way home I saw this old rest area that I’ve been wanting to try so I stopped and parked. I set up the detector field 2 and started
I was amazed how few good signals I found as I worked my way over to the corner of the rest area Right in front of an big Rock I had a 20-21 signal.
I hesitated to dig it because I figured it was a penny but dug it and I stuck my pin pointer in the hole and it went off along the edge. So I carefully rubbed the edge with my finger
And a small black tiny disc fell I thought token or a trime I pulled it out and looked at it and saw the eagle on the back! I knew right away I had another capped bust halff dime!!!
1835 exact same year I found just about a year ago !!!
And in excellent condition also!
The coin I have it resting and I believe is a Connecticut copper You just never know if you have the hunch there may be a good spot local it pays to stop and try that was the only good signal I had in there I dug one clad dime also but was it worth the stop I think so.
I used equinox 800 field 2 recovery speed 6 no discrimination 21-22 sensitivity..
HH
Mark

Great find, never thought about old rest stops Was the disc attached or just packed dirt around it?

Thanks the small disc was the coin I actually thought I dug a small token I was in shock!
Yes rest stops are some of my big silver find spots..
Mark

Beautiful little coin. Congratulations!

Awesome Find Mark!!!! That is a big bucket list item for me!!!!! Great Did and looks in good shape!!!!

Congrats again Mark! Way too work on a hunch, you will be going back I take it LOL She's a beauty :thumbup:
HH Jeff

Since you have two now I could use one, so....my address is.....:)
This is a modern rest stop? Like a pull off to just stretch the legs or take a nap? Like the ones on the interstate but a smaller version in the country? WOW! If that isn’t luck I don’t know what is...
Are you out east or west or down south? Capped out west would be pretty rare....I’d imagine.
It’s a beautiful coin, what a find!!

IDXMonster said:
Since you have two now I could use one, so....my address is.....:)
This is a modern rest stop? Like a pull off to just stretch the legs or take a nap? Like the ones on the interstate but a smaller version in the country? WOW! If that isn’t luck I don’t know what is...
Are you out east or west or down south? Capped out west would be pretty rare....I’d imagine.
It’s a beautiful coin, what a find!!
Thanks guys IDX I was having a not to good day with finds and this rest stop as you can see in the picture has a few picnic tables some old grilling pits not to big it’s on a RT that follows I-95 in Ct and it was backed up so I was taking the back road to avoid traffic basically a spot to rest and stretch out .
And I have driven by this stop countless times and I decided to give it a shot .
Signals were not good ones lots of aluminum some pennies and this coin fell right in the penny zone I almost was not going to dig it!
As it turns out it’s the same exact year as my last capped half dime also it’s a more common year ...
HH
Mark

Thanks everyone now if I can only get a trime and a seated half dime still on my list lol.
Here’s a better closeup
Mark

Great find, just wondering if it rang up higher out of the ground, it seems to be very low at 21-22 for a silver dime.

Digger 45 said:
Great find, just wondering if it rang up higher out of the ground, it seems to be very low at 21-22 for a silver dime.
I did not check air test don’t forget these are almost half the size of a silver dime and it was on edge in the sidewall
Mark

Thats a fantastic find. I would not have expected a coin that old from a rest stop. The capped bust is on my bucket list.

WTG I've only found one several years ago right in our front yard of a house we bought 8 years ago. The house was built in 1953, Found it with a Garrett ace 250, Also found a 1889 dime and a 1904 Indian head the same day. The half dime was a 1832 but not nearly as nice as yours.All your post are inspiring. Thanks :jump::jump::jump: