Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

October's Eve

Arkie John

How is it that this would be my favorite time of year? Only recently has it attained that status. When I was younger, Spring was always my favorite. I stir my coffee (just a little frutose, please) and drift back to the times that made it all happen. There isn't any one thing I can put my finger on, but a multitude of events, I suppose. I've written of most of those, but at 57 years old, it has begun to take on new meaning. Nature, in general, has been in my blood for a long, long time. But, it's WAY deeper than that. You see, each year becomes more important...and I am reminded of it more often at this time than at any other time of the year.

The weather here is still great, but the bite of fall is in the morning time air now. The days are getting shorter and as the first leaves begin their transition with each gust, some let go. Last night I looked into the piercing darkness and wondered what would come of this season. Oh yeah, I would love to kill a huge buck and take a couple more gobblers before the end of the year. But I really wondered how I might grow as a daddy and a husband, brother and granddaddy during this time.

You see, it is at THIS time of year that I feel closest to my earthly father, and as I spend more and more time in the out-of-doors, I'm increasingly more aware of my heavenly father. As the building is evidence of the builder, and the painting evidence of the painter, then creation, being infinitely more complex than buildings and paintings, plainly shows me and becomes evidence of, yes, the Creator.

I've taken some time off--first leave since June a year ago--just to take some time to reach back into where I've been, so that I can see where I'm goin'. Does that make sense to anyone out there but me? We all have our special times and places. Royal has his Roscommon, Wayne has his remote and mysterious mountains and lost beaches. Butch has his private waterfall on Lake Cathrine. Fred has his beautiful horses...and I...well, I have my October's Eve and all that it represents.

I am so thankful that I can relate to the smell of a hickory fire, who's smoke drifts, ever-so-slowly hanging low in the valley. The crisp mornings call my name and I know why, once I am out there, just watching the first hint of a grey sky preceeding what will be another spectacular sunrise. "How many more of these will I have privilege to see," I think. Well, let's see. (My mind wanders) If I live till I'm 80, I'll have about 1,164, give or take one or two. Geeesh~ That's under 1,200!!! These days, 1,200 of ANYTHING ain't much. I can't waste even ONE!

Then again, I might not even have 12 left. None of us really know, do we? Each year, as strands geese make their way, following their intuitive urges to the south, I am reminded of the brevity of life. Little kids satisfy their curiosity and play in the fire of burning leaves and old men pay homage to another year gone by, looking skyward, as those geese make their way. Why is it that every time I hear their noisy flight, I automatically look up, searching, searching? It's just who I am. Thanks, Dad and Mom.

But this is what I am pledged to to do, regardless of the time I have left. I will make the most of each passing day no matter where God places me or in whatever circumstances I am found . I never want to miss another sunrise or my daily calling, until it is my time to go.

So, it's not about how many deer or turkeys I've got in the freezer at the end of the season. It's about loving my Lord, my family and my fellow man enough to do all I can to be all that I can possibly be to them, in that order...each...passing...day.

October's eve: What a great time of year! A time to recollect, to recommit..a time to reconsider and most of all--a time to ACT. Dare I challenge you to ask, "What will come of this season?" I am thankful for each October's Eve, so that I might be reminded of the important things.

Friends, the air's gettin' a bit nippish right about now, even with that hot coffee. Now, just where did I put that old sweater?

Thanks for comin' along. <><

Arkie John

(this is the one I promised you, Fred :) )

I would have to stumble and mumble for days to do half as well. I enjoy and appreciate your way of describing the important things in life :clap::clap::clap:
Wayne

However, thank you so much.

However, when you say there is a nip in the air, just how 'cold' does that get???? :lol:

sunny skies, clear water

M

n/t

n/t

I have to agree that the smell of wood smoke sparks up a few memories in me too. I never shared it with my dad but friends long gone have shared a campfire with me. The neat thing about a campfire is, you don't have to say anything. You can just set there, with a friend and it is sometimes enough.

My favorite season is the Spring because I really don't care much for winter. I do winter things because it beats driving spikes in my forhead but Spring is a season of awakening.

I admire the ducks and geese their trips south. How many times I have watched them flying far overhead and wondering where they were headed.

Very fine post you made there Arkie

everyday. I know in my heart, that you are not alone in the woods our father taught us so much about. As I sat on the deck last night, the great owl hooted, reminding me of daddy who is always near. It's something that just makes me feel good all over. Let's go camping soon, okay? Me, you and Lil Brother! You guys can hunt, and I'll go catch supper! Most of all, that all too beautiful campfire will be burning and cracking in the ring made of rocks.

You say you have about run out of stories............no way brother dear! All it takes is to talk with your family, and they just come pouring out. I have gotten where I write the thought down so I can go back to them and write sometime in the future. It just takes time to do this, and I am steadily working on this!

ILY, and the story brought back some good times, for sure! :)

This too is a time of year when I feel closer to Daddy, only with me, it is the memory of getting up early in the morning,(or get left behind), and riding down to Manning and Princeton to deer hunt. It would be a cold morning when Daddy would take me in the woods, put me on a stand, and say, "Put it on him, boy, " before disappearing off in to the woods.

I never knew where he was, but I always knew that he wasn't far away. I will compare that to now days and my Father in Heaven.

Thank you brother for a mind jogging post.

Lil Brother:super:

...ever BIT as mind - jogging. I just love the anaolgy. It has given me a special feeling for the entire day.

Thank YOU, my dear little brother, for this gift. "Put it on him." <><

Johnboy

You each mean a lot to me and I thank each of you for your individual contributions to this forum. It is SUCH a source of enjoyment for me. You each have so many stories to tell. I need to hear one or two. :)

Keep on keepin' on. <><

Your friend,

Arkie John

Sorry that I am late replying to your post. You sure give someone something to think about...makes you question just what is important in life.

As we go through life, sooner or later, something happens that sorta wakes us up and makes us question things. Just such a thing happened to me February of last year, and I must admit that many thoughts have gone through my head since then...much has happened, much that I do not understand, much adjustments, just plain "much" of many things! Your posted message hit home big time.

All that I can say is that you must always put that smile on your face and move forward in facing the challenges of life. It will give one comfort to be able to reflect back to the many great memories and be thankfull for all the good times that one has experienced. Thanks for the enlighting posted message. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

...I am late in responding to you because I have been hunting for the past week.

I tagged out on turkeys this afternoon :D, so now I must turn my attention to deer and bear.

I'm attempting to learn something about bear hunting. I have never been but would love to take one and have the fur made into a cold-weather coat.

Anyway, I've been enjoying your "memories" series. Keep 'em comin. Hope you and Deb are doing well. Take care. <><

aj