Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

October Arkansas 2007 (Lil' Bros' Harvest) Part 1

Arkie John

With much anticipation, the day finally arrived when we could, once again, hit the woods, bows in hand, going after the double whammy...the ever-elusive 180-class whitetail and a ground-draggin' bearded gobber. Here in Arkansas, we are blessed with the longest bow season I know of. It goes from 1 October til 29 February of 08~now that's a bunch of hunting.

It's funny, as I greet each season, the hills get steeper and the mornings get colder...but not THIS morning. Tom and I were hunting on private adjoining land of my property and I had 'em all scouted out. Keeping them fattened up was not bad either.

Opening morning, it was a balmy 60 degrees--I mean camo pants and tee-shirt huntin-type weather. We were all set, even down to taking the unscented shower, then donning unscented clothing and boots. Man, we were pumped. There wasn't a buck around that would sense we were within a half-mile of 'em! We got up very early--I made coffee. I went to the front porch to do what guys do when they live in the country. As I was 'shakin' the dew off the lilly' I noticed some lightening coming from the northwest. It wasn't just ANY lightning. None of this ole' HEAT lightning--no siree~this was the real deal. It's not hard to read some of natures warnings. THis one said, "come on out here boys and yall are gonna get yall's azzes soaked." Hmmmmmmmm.

Still a good hour before daylight, I commenced to cooking fried-egg-on-toast w/ apricot jelly topped off with a shot of hot, strong coffee. So much for the Indian purification rituals that I read about before each major hunt. I DID do without sex the night before. Well, at my age, it's not much of a loss. :biggrin:

As we ate our made-that-way skimpy breakfast, the rains came down. I'm tellin' you it was a downpour. Looking at the television I said, "don't worry about it. The band of storms is no wider than Lake Ouachita. The bad stuff should pass in 30 or 45 minutes." We each had such confidence in the weatherman, we didn't even think to take rain gear. Weren't gonna need it.

Sure enough, the storm came and went, all in good timing. When the last drop fell, daylight was STILL a good time off, because it was uncommonly cloudy. We took advantage. We grabbed our gear, locked the door and we were on our way. I looked east--still no hint of the approaching morn. That made for a great little hike in the pre-dawn woods of the Hilltop.

Since he was a little unfamiliar with the area, especially at night, I guided Tom to his stand and a particular tree. It was 6:15--plenty of time before daylight. I left the area and beat it, post haste. I had a mile of traipsin' to do and a short time to get to my pre-set stand. I made it with time to spare. Glancing at my watch as I settled 20 feet up in an 80-foot long-leaf pine: 6:50a.m. I could the thunder in the background heading away from us. "Yeah, I thought--that's what we WANT. The wind was still, the rain was gone and the anticipation was too real. As the darkness yielded to another beautiful Arkansas morning, I just had to stop and count my blessings. Is Heaven really better than Arkansas. Sometimes I wonder. I think it's going to be a good winter. More just a little later.

aj

n/t

I cannot decide if that sounds good :) or... well... not so good :D..

We are just finishing up the house [I hope] so that I should be able to get out later next week..Then I can go out and try to get my moose.

Calm seas

Mikie

made me cover my ears and say "Too much information, too much information". :lol: Can't wait for the next part. Those "wabbits" must have been scared! :blink: :blink:

I don't know but I am a guessing you got a wet arse but mebby not.

I have never seen as many turkey as we have up here this year and a huge acorn crop so the deer are fat and sassy. I have not been seeing as many in the back lately but feel it is the acorns and the hunters in the woods changing their habits.

I love your hunting storys, John. I can not join you in person but reading about it is a thrill for me and many others it seems....

PS. I ain't had any lately either :(

I usually poach the eggs so the center is not quite solid. Opening morning I couldn't find the poacher, so I fried them slowly so that I didn't 'lace' the eggs (no brown stuff around the edges) Lay a piece of buttered toast on the plate, carefully place the egg on top of the toast. Plop a spoonful of apricot jelly(or strawberry jam) beside it all. Now, add a steaming hot cup of coffee and a small 4 oz glass of OJ. Now that's eating and it won't make you come out of the stand prematurely!!

I do this whenever I want a light breakfast but don't want to get filled up. Try it out, bud...you'll like it.

aj

I'll try to write the rest of the story today sometime.

Jelly? My favorite is strawberry jam or muscadine jelly. But for a change and on a whim, (I get dangerous when I am allowed to shop for groceries alone) I just put apricot jelly in the basket the other day. Boy am I glad I did. That stuff's GREAT.

aj

...here on the forum, our stories are rarely edited or polished. That element gives them all a sense of real-life quality 'cause that's exactly what they are.

I like writing the story the way it was. Personally, stories are there to jog the memory a few years down the road. After a time the memory begins to dim and the facts, big and small, become less, dulled by time. But with a good story, well, you can sit down 25 years from now and completely relive the day...and that's what I love about this forum.

Our turkeys are not doing so well these last two years and because of that, the fish cops have scaled back the gun seasons some :biggrin: . But the bow hunting remains unaffected. I can take one of either gender through the winter, so I will choose the bird carefully.

Sorry I have not written lately, but have had nothing to write about. Tom gave me permission to write this one because he no longer has internet service--at least not for the near term. I'll try to finish up this story today or tomorrow.

Thanks for posting and thanks for keepin' it all together for us, Royal. We appreciate what you do for us here on the forum.

aj

Geocaching and I think I am going out to fetch a few. I have lawn work to do but it will have to wait

I need to read part 2 and find out how the hunt panned out. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)