Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ocean currents and finds!

pejeci

I'm a relative newby to MD and what has struck me so far while beach hunting is that finds are often made far from demarcated swimming areas, ie in isolated areas of the beach, often a mile or further away from where bathers would normally swim or soak up the sun!! I take it that is the work of ocean currents. I just wonder if more finds are made ecaxtly at spots where items are lost or somewhere else. What do the experts say??

Checkout a website by Thomas Dankowski..Very informative and his point of view is that you find MOST of your gold right where the person lost it because of the density of gold....

When big storms and huge swells hit the beach they rip the guts clean out of it. Storm surge and extra powerful rips are at force at that time. The truth is that the sea can and does drag gold from the deeper water and throw it up on the spit line, (just above the high tide mark). At the same time maybe only 15' away the gold is being ripped out from the beach and deposited at the back of the drop off, where the water slows. Rings with a reasonable surface area, such as class rings, are more prone to roll along with the currents especially if it's powerful. I've tried this in a fresh water creek with a couple of different size rings to test the theory and thats what I found happened. I get to the beach sometimes and there are huge cutbacks, I think you beauty and hardly find anything, and at other times the same senario, but with lots of loot! It's unpredictable. HH regards Nugget.:detecting: