Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

observations of a deus user

Nauti

Hi there,i do not own a deus but I thought i'd share a story with you.I detect over in England and a friend of mine and myself organised a days detecting for our metal detecting club.We picked a field randomly without doing any research just so that the club members could have a bit of a get together and enjoy a bit of detecting.We started detecting and after about half an hour my attention was drawn to somebody who had been swinging his detector in the same spot for the whole half an hour that everyone had been detecting.I thought that this could only mean that he was having trouble with his detector so I went over to see if I could help.He explained that he had bought the deus and that he had not moved very far because on every swing of the coil he was getting signals.He opened his finds bag and showed me about twenty tiny fragments of copper and bronze.....this machine seemed as though it was'nt missing anything.In the mean time everybody else on the field was finding roman coins and artefacts......we had hit on a field that had seen heavy roman activity and the field even produced a scattered roman coin hoard and even molten gold.At the end of the day the chap with the deus had still hardly covered any ground and all he had found was hundreds of tiny pieces of copper and bronze but with the added bonus of a hammered coin....everybody else had found numerous roman coins and brooches and other interesting artefacts as well as hammered coins.The chap had a laugh about it though because he realised that this detector was going to find him a lot of stuff and since this outing his finds rate has rocketed with this machine.If this chap had gained sole permission to search the roman field just imagine what he could have found there....unfortunately the field was only open to us for the one day.This story proves how effective this machine is and how you need to thoroughly search all of those worked out sites because it is this machine that will find those elusive tiny bits of jewellry others have missed.

Nauti Neil, Thanks for the post. It is always good to hear from people on the other side of the pond! :thumbup:

Wow...Shouldn't the bloke just highgraded for a bit on a fresh field like that, with only one day to hunt it? Wouldn't a fellow just fly through there trying to pick up solid hits of the silver or bronze or gold coin tones as fast as he could? Would not that be the strength of the Deus put into proper service? What would you Deus users have done in this situation?
Mud

It's hard for me to answer because I'm not quite sure how small the hammered coins are and where they fall in the VDI scale. But here in the states I'm a coin hunter only. If I start picking up small pieces of metal I drop the frequency. The 12 & 18 frequencies will find the small stuff. But the 8 & 4 will ignore it. The Deus is a versatile machine. If you are having problems with the site there is probably a way to set the detector to deal with it. And usually that is just a matter of another preset program. The OP mentioned it was a new machine for the individual. I'm sure that after a few hunts the person using it will be more confident in changing things up.

I can not say that I would have done anything different on my first hunt with any new detector. As mentioned in the original post, after a few hunts his finds skyrocketed. The Deus is truly an amazing detector. :thumbup:

YES - he should have gone down to 12kHz (I bet he was on Deus Fast running at 18kHz) and dropped the discrimination too.

Having detected in the UK with the Deus - it definitely picks up the tiny pieces of non-ferrous. But the real joy of that machine is quickly moving through a plowed field picking up everything in the top 8"...

Good learning experience for him and apparently he has sorted it all out because Neil says his finds rate has rocketed...

mudpuppy said:
Wow...Shouldn't the bloke just highgraded for a bit on a fresh field like that, with only one day to hunt it? Wouldn't a fellow just fly through there trying to pick up solid hits of the silver or bronze or gold coin tones as fast as he could? Would not that be the strength of the Deus put into proper service? What would you Deus users have done in this situation?
Mud

Yeah... After following your posts and seeing some vids, seems two of the main strengths of the Deus are its speed and lightness. Ideal characteristics to hit an area, find the "lane" and then work it for old glory! This is a big World, these coils are small, and time is short.
Mud

Elsewhere I noticed a guy that took his collection of half a dozen detectors and put them all up sale. Well, except for an XP Deus.

That sort of got my attention which brought me here. And this post furthers my interest, so thank you for sharing.