Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox Ground balance?

u2robert

How many people do a manual or auto ground balance?
Or do you leave it at the factory pre-set of 0
If you do ground balance what are the pro's
Than leaving it at pre-set?
Thanks

U2, my jury is still debating this issue.

In the first few months I left it at zero.
Then the next few months I did the manual one.
Now I am on auto.

All I can say is the machine performs very well in each of those settings.

But don’t look at me to say which one performed the best of the three situations.
I feel just listening to the sounds helps more than settings.

Tony

I tried manual and auto setting of the GB, but the numbers for my area are pretty low so I just leave it at zero.

Ground balance numbers in my area are -3 to +4 so I always ground grab ground balance at least and sometimes manual ground balance. Most of the dirt here is 3 to 5 bars on my F19 and F75 so incorrect ground balance can make my 600 and 800 very noisy. I never use tracking and always ground balance, sometimes multiple times.

Jeff

I hunt a farm field that I’ve. been hunting for years..auto ground balance is somewhere between 40 and mid 50s,but for some unknown reason if I manually set the ground balance around 15 I seem to get better results.. this type of place requires getting jiggly with the settings when things start getting quiet...

bootyhoundpa said:
I hunt a farm field that I’ve. been hunting for years..auto ground balance is somewhere between 40 and mid 50s,but for some unknown reason if I manually set the ground balance around 15 I seem to get better results.. this type of place requires getting jiggly with the settings when things start getting quiet...

By doing this you would be effectively setting your GB to the negative, which has been known to get better depth at the expense of TID and stability. If there’s not a lot of junk or targets to begin with, I might try the same thing. I almost always bob the coil and let it settle on a value.

Big 0

Saltwater beach: GB just to quiet things down IF required. Inland: I'll check a few targets with and with out but will GB most of the time.
Same with noise cancellation. I find I just do not need it unless really bad soil/emi

"O" as the manual states I don't have highly mineralized soil. This topic has been discussed a lot LOL almost as much as the 08 module/headphones, there is no right answer use what works for you in your environment. With that stated I would use factory default until you get a handle on what you are doing.
HH Jeff

IDXMonster said:
By doing this you would be effectively setting your GB to the negative, which has been known to get better depth at the expense of TID and stability. If there’s not a lot of junk or targets to begin with, I might try the same thing. I almost always bob the coil and let it settle on a value.

Ive been thinking about your answer, and I'm not if its right, wrong, or kinda wrong????

I know on old-school single freqs when you change the GB setting, you are actually offsetting the phase shift to compensate. This also gave you the ability to set your detector to be positive or negative to affect the coin responses also. But I know minelabs multi tech use a time domain instead of the freq domain so the GB setting has no ability to be positive or negative. But now we have multi-IQ with the option of single freqs. So are the single freqs running on a freq domain or are they still on a time domain?

all I know for sure is that the manual says not to worry about GB in multi unless you have very bad ground, but that you should always set a GB in single freq operations.

I do an auto GB before each hunt. Some areas here in AZ have quite a bit of mineralization so I GB for maximum depth where I'm hunting. The extra 30 seconds it takes I feel is worth the trouble.

GB on any machine including the Equinox is in my mind possibly the most important and critical setting on any detector that is of course if you have 'control' over it as some detectors are preset,for me i do a auto GB at the start or every session and also through out the day as well,as often you could GB and set the machine up and within a very short distance the ground conditions can change and also keep changing.So one could then say just set the tracking GB up and forget about it,i dont think its the best method in my mind as the machine could get fooled due to the constant changes almost every step,so i prefer to auto GTB and then also often as well through out the day.

Mega, there are times I think the auto ground balance does mess up and I try different things or simply dig it out.

Overall, I feel this machine doesn’t miss the good stuff. Just my opinion.

Tony