Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox 800 sniffs out my first Gold coin-1852 1 dollar

coinworld

All I can say is WOW! a friend of mine invited me back to dig at her PA farm yesterday which per research states was part of the Gettysburg Campaign during 1863. We have recovered several Yankee and Reb belt plates/buckles and buttons; I dug last month two firsts (first Block I), Virginia Coat and my first Confederate Georgia frame buckle. The good Lord has abundantly blessed me and if I have never dig another relic the rest of my life, I am indeed a happy man.

Back to the story, so we all arrive at the site and not more than an hour of detecting my hosts informs me try a different section of property where she just dug s belt keeper and Confederate hat pin "B". Not more than 15 minutes I get a decent solid hit on my Nox800 reading "12" solid lock from all directions about 4-5 inches in depth. After careful pinpointing I dig plug and am staring at the tiniest coin I have ever seen-yet dug. I could see the very discernible "1" Dollar in the reverse and it wasn't until I picked up the coin and held it in my hand to look at more carefully did my brain fully realize what I had just dug: my very first gold coin-1852 1 dollar. I was expecting either foil or another buffalo or Jefferson nickle as the other two nickles I dug locked on "12" solid from all directions on the Nox800.

I am impressed with this machine thus far and am still learning the various nuances since I purchased it new in January. One thing I can not overemphasize if you are after gold coins or other gold with the Nox you have to be prepared to dig a lot of trash and low VDI numbers. Had I never dug a nickle with the Nox which both times locked on "12" VDI I would have never dug this beautiful coin. It appears someone back in the day had the coin mounted in a pendant or similar as you can see a bit of solder on the rim. Not sure if worth trying to have it professionally removed by a jeweler as I do not want to damage the coin. None-the-less I am not complaining and extremely blessed and thankful unto the Lord for allowing me the opportunity to recover such a coveted piece of gold coin history! Happy Hunting!

Wayne

Nice find nothing like a gold coin found a 1911 Half eagle 3 years ago my first year detecting!

Great friend, coin and story Wayne! They are tiny little fellers aren't they :tongue: On those sites I would dig lower numbers yet. JMO
Jeff

Fantastic find :clapping:

I've had my 800 for only a couple of months and I have found more stuff here locally than with any of my previous detectors .

Me too, best detector I have ever owned. I dug my first Confederate belt buckle last month and Virginia Coat Button I’m heavily mineralized soil in PA, plus a first for me-Block I Button. This machine really separates good targets from bad. I’ve only had my detector since January 4 months.

I am, regimental hat letter “A” , my first ever hat letter came in as a solid “5” near surface and my buddy passed over it after I did and I should dig it. I said it’s probably surface trash or aluminum, after pinpointing, not even an inch in the ground I popped plug and saw beautiful “A” staring at me! I offered it to my host but she already has 3 “A” hat pins. I dug the “A” hat pin immediately after digging the 1852 gold dollar. Lesson learned-everything above 5 I am digging!:thumbup: