Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NOX 800 Shaft Wobble

Mike K (Ohio)

Has anyone noticed that when you swing back and forth when zeroing in on a target that, there is a wobble? If so how did you correct it? Thanks

Mike K

Is it brand new? Mine did this I really had to tighten it real tight!
Then I replaced the shaft with a CF shaft I built for it.

Yes bought it new and its a few weeks old... Most of us can't make are own carbon fiber shaft lol.... :) Wish I could

It has been discussed many times with many arguments. Solutions involved tape....drilling a hole for the button to pop out on the other side....buying a Third party shaft.....complaining to Minelab and getting a new one that will eventually do it again.

My opinion...The stock twist cams are junk. They are a bad design used on many detectors for many years. The cuff is junk. At least for water swinging. Weak! The Equinox may be light in weight, but it has poor shaft balance. I bought a third party shaft.

Steve can help you

You can also replace the single spring clip with a double which will solve most of it as well. These travel shafts..... and that is what a 3 part shaft is .... isnt really designed for daily use. I put mine back for traveling and got one of Petes CF shafts.... excellent. There are some really good shafts out there now .... Steves even has a counter balance and some really good locks. I seen where Keith at ML repair will be selling Tony Hunts telescopic shafts ....new hot ticket IMO. Those twist locks for sure WONT hold up for beach/salt water hunting.

White Teflon tape for plastic plumbing pipe fitting works good too and doesn't leave a mess.

Jeff

Minelab has a known problem with the shaft not locking tight. Give them a call or send an email and explain the situation.

Minelab sent me a new upper rod as my locking ring wouldn't tighten down on the middle rod. Solved my issue. All warranty.

The carbon fiber shaft is NICE, but you shouldn't have to buy an aftermarket rod to fix that problem. If you ever decided to sell your equinox, it is nice to be able to sell the original in complete working condition. Figure out if the wobble is with the lower to middle connection OR the Middle to upper connection (or both) and get it taken care of UNDER WARRANTY. Then, if you like, go find a nice aftermarket carbon fiber rod that is lighter and 'heavier duty' and put the original good rods back in the box in case you ever need them.

Rich -

Rich ....... i agree. We have gotten so used to FIXING or having to modify our equipment. ML has been impressive with their CS....... id take advantage of the warranty. 3 years people..... no worry repairs and fast...... get-er-done.

The problem with the stock locks to is if you beach hunt a lot sand gets in them and they’re a pain to turn that’s my main reason for a one piece shaft to eliminate that problem.

I got an aftermarket 2 piece rod and it is a night and day difference in how the Equinox feels. It feels SO much better to swing and even feels lighter.

I did get my factory 3 piece rod replace under warranty, but it is a backup now. Also I use the extra lower rod for my 6" coil so all I do is slight out the lower to change coils.

If you know you are going to get extra coils, I would highly recommend getting a replacement 2 piece rod.

CS

I bought my Nox 800 earlier this year and I haven't noticed any wobble although I had heard about the issue so I have been trying to make mine wobble to see if it has the problem but it won't ?

Bought a NOX 600 when they first came out it had bad wobble but Minelab fixed it & just bought a new 800 last week (Thanks Richard) no wobble what so ever & I just discovered the Minelab X terra armcuff will work on the Nox also & they are built a little studier than the Nox armcuff.